Chapter 5

Mahogany sat at the kitchen table, stirring a mug of hot cocoa gone cold while she stared at the table's wood grain, her eyes unfocused. She's spent three hours in the museum's basement with Detective Sawyer monitoring her as she scoured the finding aids for any mention of the anelace. The search hadn't yielded anything, but that hadn't deterred the detective.

"If being a detective has taught me anything, most searches turn up very little at first. Perseverance is the key," Sawyer had said as she handed the thick stack of files to Mahogany.

"Terrific," Mahogany said. "I guess that means we'll spend lots of time together."

Sawyer gave Mahogany a smile that stopped just below her eyes.

Mahogany sighed and sipped her cold cocoa, and cringed. She went to the microwave and reheated her drink. Neema entered the kitchen as the microwave beeped.

"What do you say we go get some ice cream or maybe grab a pizza from Tipsy's?" Neema's eyes shimmered with sympathy and hope, but all Mahogany saw was pity in the older woman's blue eyes.

"I'm not very hungry." She took a sip of her rewarmed cocoa, which tasted like cardboard. She turned and dumped it into the sink and set the mug with a clatter on the counter.

Guy sat on the kitchen island and swung his legs through one of the barstools next to the breakfast bar. "Do you want me to mess with him? I could pull out all the stops haunting him. Moaning, footsteps, rattling chains." Guy said, referencing his newfound talents for poltergeist activity. Since becoming a ghost several months ago, Guy's ability to affect his environment had grown stronger.

Mahogany gazed at Guy, unsure if he was joking. She tilted her head to one side and considered his offer. "That's very sweet, but no. I'm not sure Tony deserves the attention."

Neema leaned against the counter opposite Guy. "What are you going to do about Tony and his surprise fiancée?"

"Ignore it till it goes away," Mahogany said, her chest tightening. "Why didn't he ever mention her?"

"I don't know. Maybe things did get away from him, as he said." Neema went to Mahogany and rubbed her back. "Breaking off an engagement can be difficult. Perhaps he thought you would judge him."

The ache in Mahogany's chest traveled to her head, grabbed the back of her skull, and squeezed. She understood how these sorts of topics could get away from one. She had thought the same about her and Tony's failed date. Mahogany wished she had a mom to talk to. Mahogany moved away from Neema's hand and positioned herself, so her back was against the refrigerator. Her boot heel caught on the lip of one of the kitchen tiles, and she stumbled.

"I wouldn't have. I mean, I would have been a bit surprised." She shook her head. "I didn't think he was a liar."

Neema dropped her hand and gazed sadly at Mahogany. "You need to see Brian O'Malley and get that shoe fixed before you break your ankle."

"I will, but I have other things to think about first."

****

With Bazgul perched on her shoulder, Mahogany ducked under the crime scene tape and made a silent dash through the shadows to the clock tower's door.

"How are you going to get in?" Guy said, floating next to her. "There's no mail slot to send Bazgul thorough." Above them, the clock tower knelled three times, alerting the sleeping town of the hour. Somewhere, a dog barked, raising the alarm. Several more errant barkers joined in before quieting again.

"I have it on good authority that Matt was as forgetful as a drunk on Mardi Gras, and he kept a key hidden," Mahogany said, peering around the area for potential hiding places.