Chapter 18

Pandemonium's hospital was one of the newer buildings gracing the ancient skyline. For centuries, the residents made do with a clinic run by wortcunners and healers. But as the human population grew, the demand for a legit hospital had to be addressed. The state-of-the-art facility sported shiny devices, freshly painted walls, and some of the best human medical professionals on the west coast.

Mahogany headed for the polished steel and glass building. The spotless automatic door swooshed open as she approached. Mahogany stopped in the doorway and scanned the waiting area. Her gaze drifted over a smattering of chairs before she spotted Evelina.

"What happened?" Mahogany said, adjusting her backpack. The smell of sickness mingled with antiseptic tickled the back of her throat, threatening to make her cough.

Evelina stood and hugged her friend. "She was investigating Matt's murder, and—"

"She was what?" Mahogany stepped back. Anger rose in her chest, dispelling the urge to cough. Mahogany narrowed her eyes. "Where's Tony?"

"Upstairs. He's Blair's emergency contact."

"Of course he is," Mahogany said and started for the elevators.

****

Mahogany's gaze fell on Tony as she and Evelina exited the elevator.

"What the hell, Tony?" Mahogany said, fuming.

"I told you the threat was real," Tony shot back, getting to his feet.

"Blair wouldn't have been in danger if the two of you hadn't been sleuthing," Mahogany said. She glared into his beautiful hazel eyes and hated herself for still finding him attractive.

Tony sat heavily in the waiting room chair. "I know, but you didn't believe me about the smashed watch. If you had, Blair might be fine."

Mahogany leaned back as if Tony had struck her. "Don't you dare shift the blame to us. This is your fault. Take some personal responsibility, for Horkos's sake," she said, invoking the ancient Greek god of oath-taking. Mahogany paused and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "Where did the attack happen?"

"At the clock tower," Evelina said. "Blair found the hidden key and was snooping around inside when someone attacked her."

"Did she see who it was?" Mahogany asked. Her heart rate returned to normal, despite the anger frothing inside her.

Tony shook his head. "She was hit from behind with a hammer. She doesn't remember anything."

"Someone hit her with a hammer?" The news extinguished some of Mahognay's anger, and she sat next to Tony. "That's horrible."

"The doctors don't believe there's any permanent damage, but her short-term memory is shot, at least for the moment." Tony's let his head droop and closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Tony, but I'm still pissed." Mahogany raised her hand to rub his back, thought better of it, and tucked her hands under her thighs instead.

A doctor clad in a white coat exited Blair's hospital room. "Excuse me, Mr. Applegate. You can see her now."

Tony stood. "How's she doing?"

The doctor smiled. "She is coherent and stable. She took quite a blow. Blair is lucky to be with us. We might have lost her if it hadn't been for that 911 call."

"Thank you, doctor." Tony turned to Mahogany and Evelina. "I have to go."

Mahogany nodded. "Go, and when she's feeling up to it, we'd like to speak with her."

Tony nodded and entered Blair's hospital room.

"Uh, excuse me, doctor," Evelina said. "Do you have any idea who made the 911 call?"