Chapter 6

Mahogany sat at a table outside Hot Brews, stirring her mocha. Her thoughts filled with the echo chronograph she'd delivered to Agalia at the museum. What had happened between Matt and Lilac? Had RW come and swept her off her feet, jilting Matt? Did RW have an alibi for the time of Matt's murder? Did he have a motive beyond wanting to stop the clock from chiming all night?

"I've been thinking," Evelina said, slipping into the seat across from Mahogany, "What if we pry, just a little, into Matt's murder? Something to keep your mind occupied from Tony and his surprise fiancée?"

A sharp stab in Mahogany's chest caused her to gasp at the mention of the surprise fiancée. "I don't think so."

Evelina sat back, her eyes narrowed. "So, what were you sitting here thinking about then?"

Mahogany stirred her mocha until it almost sloshed over the rim of the glass. "Matt's murder," she admitted, her voice heavy with guilt.

Evelina squeaked and slammed her hands down on the table. "I knew it! I knew you couldn't help yourself. So, what were you working out? Motive, opportunity, means? Who are the suspects?"

"Slow down," Mahogany said and chuckled. She peered around conspiratorially and leaned over the small table toward Evelina. "I had to pick up a magical clock from Matt's office last night, and—"

"You went alone?" Evelina's lower lips stuck out in a pout, and Mahogany wondered if Evelina were sad that she hadn't been asked along or if she had been worried for Mahogany's safety.

"Guy and Bazgul were with me. So the clock," Mahogany said, pushing back to her point, "was an echo chronograph."

"An echo what?"

"A clock that plays memories, and the memory Matt had been watching before his death was of him and Lilac Delldini dancing together."

"Together, as in a couple?" Evelina's brow knitted into a frown. She gasped suddenly. "Do you think they were having an affair? That would give RW a major motive."

Mahogany shook her head. "From how they looked, the memory was from around twenty years ago."

"Wow. I had no idea." Evelina tapped a manicured nail on the tabletop. "You know who would have more information on this topic?"

It was Mahogany's turn to frown. "Who," she asked, drawing out the word.

"Saree Fenquoth."

"Matt's wife?" Mahogany sat back and shook her head. "I don't know. She just lost her husband. I don't think we should bother her."

Evelina crossed her arms over her chest. "Do you think the police waited to question her?"

"Still," Mahogany said, her face scrunching.

"I've got it." Evelina jumped up and disappeared into the cafe. She returned a few moments later, carrying a basket filled with muffins, pastries, and cupcakes. "A care package for the grieving," she said, giving a little bow.

Mahogany stared at Evelina, a pit of worry settling in her stomach. Against her better judgment, she did want to know what happened to Matt Hader. Her tailbone ached as she stood, but Mahogany ignored its warning. "Lead the way."

***

Several minutes later, they found themselves standing in front of a row of tidy bungalows down the street from the park. Each house appeared to have a theme. One was resplendent with diamonds, spades, hearts, and clubs. Further down the lane, a two-tone yard created a patchwork pattern topped with oversized chess pieces. Another had a croquet set up with a sign that said, Do you play croquet? Please, help yourself.