Chapter 72

Riccardo

"Why do you hate Angel, dad?", Aria asked, looking at me.

I froze at her question.

That came all too sudden.

I didn't expect her to ask me so directly.

I composed myself and looked at her intently and she looked back at me with determination.

"What makes you think I hate her?", I questioned back, calmly.

"It's way too obvious and very evident in the way both of you behave when you are around each other.", she said.

"I don't hate her.", I stated.

"Yes, you do.", she countered, looking straight at me.

I chuckled internally.

My daughter has grown strong. 

A few months ago, she was like a scared lamb and now she is ready to confront me, looking straight in the eyes.

I couldn't be happier.

But I would have been more happy if this wasn't about that girl.

I wonder what's so special about her that all my children dote on her so much. Even my daughter who has known her for just a few months.

"Dad", Aria's voice broke my chain of thoughts.

"You should rest, Aria. We'll talk later.", I tried to dodge the topic.

"No, dad. I need an answer from you. It's been months and I've always wanted to know what's wrong between Angel and you but I didn't want to upset her so I never asked. But now, I understood that the problem is not from her side but from yours. So I am asking you, why do you not like Angel?", she said seriously.

"It's not like I don't like her.", I stated with a stoic face and flat tone.

"Then what is it? I can clearly see that you hate her.", she said.

Sigh.

Seems like my daughter is as stubborn as me.

I looked at her straight in the eye and understood that she is not going to calm down if I don't answer her questions.

If it has come this far then I might as well answer some of her questions.

I looked at her and she looked back at me, waiting for my answer.

"Hate is too strong an emotion, Aria. I just don't feel anything towards that girl.", I stated in a voice devoid of all emotions, looking straight in her eyes.

She frowned and her eyes dimmed a little with an emotion I never wanted to see in her eyes.

Disappointment!

But if I have to answer her, I want to be truthful. I'd rather hide a few things than lie. And I don't want to lie about something that is very obvious and evident, as my daughter said.

"Why?", she asked, softly.

I didn't reply.

"Why don't you feel anything towards her, dad? Wasn't she your daughter before you knew I existed? Then why?", she asked with a frown.

"I knew she was not my daughter the moment I saw her as a baby.", I stated, honestly.

"What?", Aria exclaimed in bewilderment and with widened eyes.

"What are you saying, dad? You knew she was not your daughter? I don't understand. This doesn't make sense.", she said, exasperatedly.

I remained silent to let her process the information I just told.