Flames at Sea

Big scary battleships are coming =)

It's been four hours since the transmission ended, the Geais fleet continued onward through the ice scattered field of the Northern ocean. Crews could be seen in standby as they waited on the words of action. The atmosphere was tense, even admiral Kampf who was sailing on the most advance warship of his fleet, felt unease.

Yet, he kept his emotions at bay and continued on with his mission. Eventually, one of his officers decided to break the silence and spoke. "Admiral, its been several hours since they made their declaration known. Perhaps, it was all just a bluff."

Kempf didn't respond immediately, he took his time as he gazed out into the horizon with a hard stare within his eyes. "You could be right captain, however when a nation declares war on another, it's either because they are over confident in their abilities and are likely to fail, or. . ."

"Or, admiral?"

"Or, they know exactly where they stand, what kind of power they hold, and know exactly how to wage war in a modern world." The captain looked at the admiral with an understanding look, after all they've been to war for several decades. It was only natural for the people of the land to start to understand how others think.

"I understand sir, excuse me while I check on the rest of the fleet." Nodding his head without looking, the captain left to do some duties that were required of him while Kempf continued to stare out into the horizon.

In his view was another dreadnought of the same class as his ship, it was ahead of the flagship by a few hundred meters. Though, it didn't block his overall view of the horizon. At this point, the sky had all but dimmed as dark clouds covered the sky in a grey shade.

Admiral Kempf, would continue to stare for a moment longer and see nothing. With a tired sigh, the admiral was just about to turn about and meet with his officers when he stopped. At the corner of his eye, Kempf thought he saw the bright flashing light of guns. He looked again, trying his best to see if there was anything he could see.

"Smoke coming from the North!" a pipe message said as the lookout reported his findings. However, in the next second-!

*KA-BOOOOMMM*

four explosions occurred to the ship in front of the Orion. Three shells missed, but one landed directly on the bridge of the ship. An explosion shook the ship as fires began to spread on the deck of the ship.

"Action stations! Action stations!!" An officer yelled out, alarms beginning to blare out as hundreds of men could be seen scrambling to main their posts. All the while, Kempf stood stocked still. He watched the grand dreadnought burn for several seconds, and in those seconds more flashes appeared over the horizon. Kempf counted over a dozen, and seconds later more shells landed all around the fleet.

The first ship within the line, Victoria, was then hit several more times. Explosions after explosions ripped the ship apart until it finally blew up. More shells landed on different ships causing a vast array of damage on several different ships.

*WOOOO-BOOOOOOMMMM*

Rocked about like a bag of potatoes, Kempf held onto the closest railing as the ship violently shock from the force of the shell. An explosion rocked the ship a second later as a tower of flames shot out. Kempf looked up to see one of the main guns of the Orion was flying high above the ship.

Kempf watched as the turret fell to the side of the ship and crashed into the water. Looking over the bow deck, Kempf could still see the towering flames. It was so hot, he even had to let go of the railing in fear of burning his hands. The flames would die out a few minutes later, though it left the ship in chaos.