•Sweep you off, Love

Present

Present

" Eat these fruits, Silah. Look how much he's bought."

Azizah sighed as she placed the washed fruits in a big bowl on the dining table after dinner.

Silah remained silent pretending to be texting on her phone whilst her mother cleaned the marble slabs in the kitchen before washing her hands and joining her on the dining table. She picked an apple and cut it in perfect slices.

" Khao Silah."

(Eat Silah)

Her mother thrust a slice in her hand.

" Mutahir ne call kia tumhe?"

( Did Mutahir call you?)

Silah kept her phone aside and looked up at her mother. And then she sighed loudly.

" No Ammi. He hasn't."

" Really?"

Azizah seemed surprised but then she put the knife down and looked at Silah.

" You should have called him Silah then. Check up on your brother sometime Silah, he's away from us and I am sure he feels lonely."

The urge to leave the dining table with this ongoing one sided conversation was so high that it was hard to resist.

" Ammi, I do check up on him. It's him that doesn't return my calls."

" He's busy there Silah. He has work."

Silah wanted to roll her eyes.

" Wait, I'll show you something."

Azizah went inside her room and came back with a jewelry box. She opened it and retrieved out two thin gold bangles. Silah watched silently as Azizah placed the bangles in her palm.

" I got them made for Safina. She's expecting for the forth time."

Silah frowned and then a smile broke onto her lips.

" Really? Mutahir didn't even call to tell. Anyways it's good news."

She traced the delicate bangles and looked at her mother.

" They're beautiful. You should give them to her when you visit them in US."

Azizah beamed with happiness as she placed the bangles back.

" Yes, I've thought the same."

" Ammi, let me know the payment that's left. I'll cover it for you. I've got some savings."

Azizah stood up and brushed off Silah.

" Oh no, I've done the whole payment this time."

" Wait, really?"

Silah asked to the silence as Azizah disappeared in the room again. There was no way her mother could afford 'two' gold bangles in these times of inflation with her saving as she had none. Mutahir hadn't sent a penny to her in ages. It was always Silah that sent her the small part she earned from giving the baking lesson or baking orders for Ailana's university friends.