Chapter Two: The Royal Guard

"Alright... I suppose I wasn't thinking about the snow..." I mumbled to myself.

I stopped to take a break in the forest because the snow was higher than I thought. Throughout the past hour, I had been stumbling around the forest. The snow had piled up more after the morning, and the trail was impossible to see.

I only had myself and a leather bag full of money. The few slices of bread I took were already in my stomach. With a sigh, I traced the tree stump I was sitting on, thinking of a solution.

"Calm down, Bella!"

I turned my head at the sudden noise. There was another person here, and maybe they could help me.

"Shit!-" the person cursed.

I jumped back when a boy hurdled face-first into the snow. I nearly fell myself.

"Ugh..." the boy groaned.

Near him was a tall black horse. The boy must have fallen off her. Well, the horse threw him off.

The boy lifted his head. His soft black hair was decorated with snow, and his face looked young. He was most likely my age.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"No," he answered with a chuckle.

The boy's horse Bella trotted to my side. I stroked her mane before looking back at her handler. My lips formed a smile.

The boy sat up and watched me pet Bella. His eyes were slightly widened, and his lips slightly parted.

"How did you do that?" he asked.

"Do what?" I replied.

"Bella, she hates everyone," he commented, looking me up and down, "but I suppose that isn't true."

My hand left Bella, and I walked over to the boy, leaning over to examine him.

"Do you need help?" I chuckled, extending my hand to the boy.

"Yes," he sighed. "As you can see, I am not the best with horses."

I smiled as I helped him up. "They're intelligent animals. In fact, they can tell what you're feeling."

"Really?" the boy asked.

"Yes. When you get worried, your horse does," I commented, looking back at Bella. I turned around to meet the boy's eyes. "What's your name? I don't believe I've ever seen you before."

His eyes widened, "Do you not know who I am?"

My eyebrows furrowed, "No. Should I have?"

He stood silent for a moment staring at me with his deep blue eyes. Then with a smile, he made up his mind.

"I suppose not. Call me Christopher," Christopher said. "And yours?"

"Most people call me Asher," I answered, a small chuckle escaping my lips.

"But what do you call yourself?" Christopher asked.

I smiled, "Adrien."

"It's nice to meet you, Adrien," he responded.

"It was nice to meet you too, Christopher," I said.

I glanced at his clothes. Gold outlined a finely pressed navy blue uniform. He definitely wasn't a commoner, perhaps a royal soldier? I blushed at my attire. I should have worn something neater.

"Do you work at the palace?" I asked.

Christopher looked down at his clothes before nodding. "Yes, I do."

"What is it like working for the royal family? Are they nice?" I asked.

"Most of them are, but... don't tell him, but the king is quite... unique," he responded with a nervous chuckle.

"Wow, really? I've never seen them before," I said.

"Yes, sometimes I wish I didn't live there," Christopher added.

I frowned, "Can't you leave?"

"It's more complicated than you think. I must be at the palace most of the time," Christopher sighed. "I was lucky they let me outside for a little break."

"That sounds horrible," I responded. "Not even to see family?"

"Nope," Christopher said, shaking his head. "They say I have better duties to take care of."

"That doesn't sound like a good way to live. I can't imagine doing work all day but having almost no break," I said.

He smiled solemnly, "I suppose you get used to it. What about you, Adrien? Why are you out here in the woods?"

"I was looking for someone willing to sell their land," I answered. Christopher tilted his head at me in confusion. "I may have underestimated the journey to the town. With all the snow, I cannot see the trail."

"Ah," Christopher said. "I can show you the way to town if you'd like."

"But what if I lose my way back?"

"Hm, then I'll accompany you until you're home safely," Christopher offered with a smile.

My cheeks reddened, and I fidgeted with my sleeves. With a flustered smile, I nodded.

"I'd appreciate it. Thank you," I replied.

"You're welcome," Christopher smiled. He turned to his horse behind him and scratched the back of his neck. "I believe I need help with her, so if it's alright with you..."

"Of course," I chuckled. "Let's start with staying on the horse."