Chapter Nine: Left Behind

“Tighter!” Abigail demanded.

With a sigh, I pulled the lacing towards me while Abigail sucked in a breath. Clothes were scattered everywhere in my step-siblings’ shared room. Pink, yellow, and blue clashed together like soldiers at war. The sun was setting, seconds were ticking, and everyone was drowning in suspense.

“Are you sure?” I asked, words laced with concern.

“Obviously,” she rolled her eyes. “I need to look my best for my future husband.”

Daniel scoffed as he tucked in his dress shirt, “Please, your best is the equivalent of a drowning rat. I’m sure you mean my future husband.”

“No, because the prince would go blind the second he sees you,” Abigail shot back.

Daniel turned around, glaring at her in the mirror. He glanced at me and pointed at his coat, making me leave Abigail. I took the coat and fit it around my step-brother.

“I will bash your head in,” he retorted.

“Not if I choke you to death first,” Abigail smiled. “Ash, my gown.”

I ran over to my step-sister and tied the hoop skirt around her cinched waist. I then took her petticoat, also securing it with a tie.

“I wonder what the prince will be like,” I commented.

“Who cares what he’s like,” Daniel replied, checking himself out in his mirror.

“Exactly. He’s rich, that’s all that matters,” Abigail said. I finished putting on the last layer of her dress so I grabbed her top next.

“But wouldn’t you want to know him before you marry him?” I frowned.

Daniel laughed, “No, because then I might change my mind.”

“Besides, what do you know? It’s not like you’ve ever been with a man,” Abigail added.

“I actually have!” I blushed, mind returning to the picnic date. “He’s quite nice.”

“He’s probably a commoner or guard. No nobleman would want you,” she replied.

“He is a guard, a royal guard in fact,” I said.

“Still not good enough. Father says they have to have the money and the title. The second we take their money, we leave,” Daniel said.

Abigail held her head high, mocking royalty. She held out her hand to Daniel graciously.

“A dance, my prince?” Daniel laughed. “Why of course.”

They twirled around the room as I stood to the side. They stopped near Abigail’s vanity. The latter took a fake crown and placed it on top of her head, a satisfied sigh escaping her lips.

Daniel snatched it away from her, placing it on his head instead. Abigail glared at him, taking the crown.

“It’s mine,” she growled.

Daniel pulled the crown to him, “No, it’s mine.”

They continued to pull it in different directions until it snapped. They both gasped.

“You broke it you imbecile!” Abigail screamed.

“Your fat fingers broke it, moron!” Daniel yelled.

They flung at each other, so I took the chance to slip out of the room. I felt pity for them. The prince already had someone in mind, so there was no chance for anyone in my family. Shaking my thoughts, I fled to my room to get ready.

***

I smiled as I looked in the mirror. The suit fit a little loose, but at the same time, it was perfect. I traced the hems Christopher worked on, my cheeks tinting. My hand moved from the hems to my blue and silver necklace. It belonged to my step-mother before she died.

I looked out the window and saw the carriage nearing, so I left the bathroom and ran downstairs.

My family was huddled together, talking loudly with excitement and hope. As I made my way down, their conversations became clear.

“You two look so wonderful,” Father smiled as he cupped their faces. “The prince won’t be able to resist you.”

Abigail and Daniel smiled in return.

I cleared my throat at the base of the stairs, making all of them turn to me. Their smiles faltered.

“Asher. What is that?” Father asked.

“A suit I made myself. Don’t worry, I used my own money,” I replied with a smile.

Daniel laughed, “You at the ball? No one wants a servant as a husband.”

Abigail giggled while Father glared at me.

“How could you? I provided a house, food, and bed and you do this to me?” Father spat.

“I don’t want to ruin anything. I don’t even want to see the prince,” I said. “Please, just this once?”

“Absolutely not. You’re not going to the royal ball,” Father replied.

“But all of the unmarried-”

“It is the king and prince I am thinking about. They would be offended if a peasant arrived at the royal ball,” Father explained.

“Especially in that thing. It’s horrendous,” Daniel chuckled.

Abigail laughed, “Seriously.”

She went up to me, examining the sleeve before she ripped it off. I gasped while they all cackled.

“It’s practically falling apart,” she giggled.

Daniel ripped off a pocket that Christopher had worked on.

“Maybe you aren’t meant for fashion design,” he smirked.

The collar of my dress shirt was holding onto its life. Father took out an iron flask and spilled it on me. The smell of alcohol invaded my noise while the liquid stained almost everything.

“Why?” I whispered as my vision blurred.

“I will not let a ragged servant damage the reputation of my children,” Father scowled. “I have said it once, and I will say it again. You will not go to the ball.”

They left me at the bottom of the stairs in ruin. Tears drenched my face and my suit was ripped and stained.

Like a robot, I dragged myself outside and watched them leave. Their awful words mixed in with Christopher’s reassuring ones tumbled in my mind. My face remained stoic as the sound of horses trotting withered away along with my dreams.

 My face remained stoic as the sound of horses trotting withered away along with my dreams