Chapter Ten: Fairy Godmother

My vision blurred as I watched the carriage leave the house, their words lingering in my head. What happened finally registered in my head when a choked sob escaped my lips. It wasn't fair.

It just wasn't fair.

My legs moved on their own. They moved to the only place I felt safe.

Grass and trees sped by with each step. The tall grass eventually transitioned into the short, neatly cut grass. The garden was filled with colorful flowers and fresh juicy vegetables.

I tripped over a rock and fell onto the rough soil near the well. I crumbled into a ball and cried for what felt like years.

"I made my own suit and the little money I had!" I shouted. "I finally made a friend and I can't even visit them!"

I sat up and stared at the well in front of me, vines and moss curling around the stone. My stepmom's name was engraved in the middle.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hand.

"I'm sorry! I just can’t stay patient and kind when everytime I do, my own family acts so cruel!" I cried, my voice breaking.

I sobbed into my hands, voice hitching and tears soaking in everywhere.

"Excuse me, sir?"

I turned around at the sudden voice, my eyes finding the forest. I scanned the area and wiped away my tears. I took a deep breath and forced my obvious sad expression to my resting face.

"Who's there?" I asked warily.

"I am, sir," an old elderly woman said. She smiled sweetly at me. "Could I perhaps have a piece of bread or a cup of milk?"

I took a shaky breath before nodding with a matching smile, "Of course."

I stood up and wiped off some of the dirt that was stuck on my body. I quickly made my way into the house and grabbed two pieces of bread, along with a warm cup of milk near the farm. I carefully walked outside and found the elderly woman sitting on a stone bench.

I handed her the plate of bread and cup of milk. She beamed at me.

"Thank you, young man," she said.

She scarfed down the bread and milk with a sigh.

"People can be so mean these days," she said.

I nodded.

"I heard you wanted to go to a ball?" she asked.

I nodded again, "Yes, but I'm afraid I'm too late."

"Too late?"

"I don't have a carriage, and even if I walked, I wouldn't make it on time," I smiled sadly.

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry," the elderly woman responded.

"It's alright. It's not your fault," I said. "I shouldn't have believed in pointless promises anyways."

"Pointless?" she asked. She stood up and hobbled into the garden. "Surely, you'll change your mind after this."

"What are you doing?" I asked, following her to the vegetables section.

"Well, you said you wanted to go to the ball. In order to get there you need a carriage..." she explained.

"How would you be able to do that?"

"Why, with a little magic, of course!" She answered, hitting the ground with a branch.

The branch's wooden texture melted away, revealing a wand-shaped crystal. It glimmered bright in the dark and spewed out sparkles at the tip just like a fountain. The old woman caught it with her right hand, and just like the branch, her outer appearance melted away, and a young woman with fluffy silver hair replaced her.