CHAPTER IV

"Set the sails!"

"Full starboard!"

"Hurry up with those ropes, you two!"

The Captain was giving orders on the bridge, shouting at the top of his voice and addressing the sailors and petty officers. I stood on the bridge, close to the rail, with my head turned to the stern. The coast of England was gradually receding; London was now far off. We had reached the mouth of the Thames, and were now sailing out to sea. The sails unfurled, white as the clouds above us. I saw the reflection of the ship in the water, majestic and imposing. There was a great commotion, sailors running everywhere. I'd never imagined that steering a ship could be so difficult.

The sea air filled my lungs. I looked towards the horizon, where I saw nothing but water. My stomach clenched at the thought that for a month I would see nothing but that. Water. In all its shades. I looked back at the coast, already longing for the still, flat ground. After the sails were lowered and the ship picked up speed, everything became quieter. The sailors' eagerness diminished.

When the land disappeared and only the water remained, I kept staring at the horizon. I stood there for a long time, hours perhaps, with my skirts blowing in the wind and my hair tousling, aware that I had seen England vanish.

"Well, Miss Adler, what do you think? Do you like the view?" suddenly asked a voice behind me. It was Captain Jones, who had momentarily left the bridge.

"There's only a considerable cluster of water," I observed. "Take away one curiosity, Captain. Don't you get bored seeing nothing but water for weeks?"

He walked over and stood beside me. "The sea is never the same. It changes. And believe me when I tell you there is never a dull moment sailing on a vessel. Surely you will understand what I mean after a few days. I invite you to observe the colours of the ocean, the waves and the ripples on the surface caused by the wind. You will soon learn to love it, Miss Adler."

"Aren't you ever scared? I mean, the idea of being in the middle of the ocean, alone and helpless against the wildness of the sea..."

"Of course I'm afraid. But it's fear itself that characterizes the sense of adventure, isn't it? It's fear mixed with adrenaline that makes our hearts yearn for similar experiences."

"Not everyone likes certain emotions."

"I'm well aware of that. The life of a sailor isn't for everyone."

"I'm probably one of them."

"Oh, but you've only been on a ship a few hours! You cannot draw such hasty conclusions. You must wait a few days at the very least."

"Don't you ever miss dry land? Don't you have any family?" Realizing that my question was too indiscreet, I petrified, but the Captain did not seem surprised.

"A sea dog like me can't afford a family. I can't take a wife when I'd be forced to abandon her for months. It doesn't seem fair, no woman deserves to be left alone like that, with no word from her husband and the constant fear that something might happen to him."

I was surprised by that selfless thought. I stared at him for a moment. "You are thoughtful."

He, a little uncomfortable, quickly closed the conversation by asking a question: "Do you wish me to show you your quarters?"

"Certainly, I'm very curious, actually."

He offered me his arm and I took it, politely. We walked along the deck until we reached the stern. The sailors, as they passed us, nodded their heads slightly to me and the Captain.

"Be careful not to trip over those ropes," the Captain warned me. With one hand I lifted my skirts and tried to step over them with his help.

"Of course your quarters are located aft, as they are the most sumptuous and spacious in the whole ship," he explained, as we headed below deck. We descended some stairs and found ourselves in a small, dark corridor leading to a single door with silver hinges. He took a small key out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"It is locked. I know you keep most of your belongings inside, and Mr. Williams has specifically asked me to keep the door locked. You need not fear, however. Those who work on this ship are all honourable men and would never rob you."

I nodded and slipped the key into the lock, which clicked shortly after. I opened the door wide and suddenly a nice scent of roses invaded me. All over the living room there were bouquets of white roses placed in ceramic vases.

"The roses are from Mr. Williams," announced the Captain. "'To remind you of the scent of the earth,' so he said."

"Typical of him," I murmured as I looked around. The lounge was so beautiful that I couldn't help but smile at the satisfaction of being able to spend that month in such a lovely place. It did not look at all like a cabin on a ship. The walls were covered with gold and light wood, making the room even more splendid than it already was. The stained-glass windows were grand, so grand that they almost reached the ceiling, giving a lot of light to the room. The view of the sea through those panes took one's breath away. In the middle of the room was a table for five, properly set with lace napkins, glass goblets and silver cutlery. I immediately ogled the enormous ebony bookcase that filled one wall. There were books that were apparently new, and certainly there was the hand of Mr. Williams there as well, induced to think that I would enjoy having all those volumes available to read on the trip.

"Behind this glass door is your personal balcony. The view from there is nothing short of breath taking, especially during sunset," said the Captain. "Here is the properly equipped bathroom and here is your bedroom," he continued.

"I'm genuinely impressed," I admitted.

"I'm glad you like it, Miss."

I opened the bedroom door and inside I found a four-poster bed with taupe silk sheets. Here there was a wardrobe for my clothes, a bedside table and a beautiful Persian carpet of the same colour as the curtains, that is midnight blue, with some silver threads that recalled the starry sky motif.

"The ship's cook has already set the mealtimes," the Captain said, when I had finished inspecting the room.

"Oh."

"Breakfast is at seven, lunch at twelve o'clock, and dinner at six. It will be Mr. Phillips who will bring your meals to your cabin at the appointed time, do you agree?"

"Mr. Phillips is the cook?"

"No, a sailor in charge of food distribution. The cook is Mr. Bennett."

"I see."

"And..." He hesitated before continuing to speak. "If you feel unwell you can call on Mr. Finney. He is the ship's doctor. "

"I don't think I'll have any stomach problems, sir."

"Everyone says the same thing. I must go now. Have a nice day, Miss Adler."