From the diary of Delise Shelley

Life with Mr

Life with Mr. and Mrs. Oldman was not easy. I was forced to help Mrs. Oldman clean, cook, look after the children and do the laundry. I was used to those tasks, even my mother made me do them. However, there were ten people living in that house and the work was much more exhausting. Mrs Oldman was grumpy towards me. She would often invoke my mother's name, insulting her, because she had died and it had fallen to her to welcome Everett and me into her home. Everett was growing by leaps and bounds. His cerulean eyes matched mine and Mama's. He often looked for me instead of Mrs Oldman. She would simply feed him, then leave him alone. Sometimes she would tie him to the bed with her son and go off to do other chores. She had too much to do and couldn't be with the children all the time, so I often took care of them.

It was four months before my father showed up. He knocked on the door early in the morning. I was already awake; I was making breakfast for everyone. Mrs. Oldman was in the back of the house and didn't hear the loud knock, so I went to answer it.

"Father!" I exclaimed, when I recognized the marked features and his reddish mop.

"You're all grown up," he observed, with a grin. "Where is my son? I want to see him."

I ran like a shot upstairs and fetched Everett. I whispered sweet nothings and swept him into my arms. He didn't complain or start to whimper. He was quiet. When Dad saw him, he wanted to take him in his arms right away to examine him.

"I named him Everett, after you."

He smiled. "Where are Mr. and Mrs. Oldman?"

"Mr. Oldman has already gone to work. There's only the lady."

"Go get her."

Mrs Oldman invited my father in. He was offered a cup of tea and they began to discuss. Dad had to pay all the expenses that Mr. and Mrs. Oldman had been forced to shell out for Everett and me, but Mrs. Oldman also expected a little extra money for the courtesy of welcoming us into her home.

The farewell didn't go on any longer than it had to. Mrs. Oldman was happy to be rid of us. When we left, my father wanted to reach the cemetery and Mother's grave first. I hadn't been there since the funeral. The priest had almost given up giving her a funeral service, since everyone thought she was a woman without morals. My parents had never been married. Everett and I were children born out of wedlock.

My father stood about fifteen minutes in front of the wooden cross in silence. Before going he stroked the initials with his thumb and whispered a soft farewell. He paid a coachman to take us towards Plymouth. Everett slept in my arms. I had wrapped him in a thick woollen blanket.

"Where are you taking us?" I asked.

"I have found two people willing to take you."

"Won't we stay with you?"

"No, Del. I have to leave. My shore leave lasts till tomorrow. I can't stay."

"I thought we were finally going to be together."