From the diary of Delise Shelley

Diary, this will probably surprise you, but I really fell in love with that man. There was something fascinating about him, his charisma and his way of seeing things had pushed me into a whirlwind of adoration and desire. His golden hair, which absorbed the sun's rays until it was almost dazzling, made him look like an Adonis. I fell in love with him and he fell in love with me and we found ourselves a few months after our first meeting in each other's arms. It all happened so spontaneously, so quickly, that love overwhelmed me. I discovered pleasure, carnal pleasure, for the first time, I discovered how satisfying it was to give pleasure to someone you love. We'd spend hours entwined in bed, whispering effusions.

Laurence appointed me his quartermaster, and the power I wielded over the crew thrilled and distressed me at the same time. But it was a happy time. A time when we both grew rich from all the raiding and pillaging.

We got married in Barbados at the height of the monsoon. The wind was raging and water was coming down from the sky in buckets. But I didn't mind the weather at all, as if nothing could disrupt my mood that day. The whole ceremony flew by and before I knew it the priest declared us husband and wife. Laurence kissed me and when he pulled away from me, I saw his eyes glistening.