CHAPTER XX

Smith never bothered me again. They forced him to disembark in a small town where we stocked up on drinking water and food. His nose was swollen and he looked rather worn. He walked along the port with a completely bewildered attitude. He didn't look any of Arenis' men in the face and avoided even looking at me. Suddenly, walking around the Galatea seemed safer. Seeing what had happened to Smith, no one dared make any snide remarks to me. Dinnington had confided to me that there was a real regime of terror among the crew. Arenis had threatened them all, describing in minute detail the punishment that would be meted out to them if they tried to touch me again. So the crew left me alone. The men simply gave me assignments, and I carried them out without objection. Jackie Jay often sought my company. He would question me on the political situation in England; he had spent so many years outside of society that he had missed many interesting turns. Dinnington, on the other hand, seemed intent on wanting to get to know me. He would ask me about my family, the studies I had done, the dreams I had had as a child. Though a pirate, he was a friendly man. He treated me with respect and when I was reluctant to answer his questions he never pressed.

"My father was born poor. He found his fortune as a merchant in Africa. My mother, on the other hand, comes from a middle-class family and in the beginning my grandparents wanted nothing to do with my father. They married in secret, you know. It was a love marriage. And fortunately my grandparents did not disown my mother because of it, although they were strongly against it. In time, however, they learned to accept my father and, surprisingly, he grew richer than they were, becoming part of high society."

Dinnington turned a cheerful smile on me. "You have a fabulous family, Miss Adler. You are very fortunate."

"I know. They're the one thing I've never complained about. "

I was staring at the horizon. I missed the land. I missed the roads, the houses, the landscapes that change with every mile.

"How's the kitchen work going?" asked Dinnington.

Harris was a cranky, overbearing man and tried hard to make me desperate. He let me fend for myself most of the time, avoiding explaining to me how the various tasks were done and then scolding me when I made a mistake. He would call me harsh insults. I had never heard such talk. Even the maids did not use such words when they thought we did not hear them. By nightfall, my arms and back were sore, my muscles numb from hard work, and I had an excruciating headache.

"Mr. Harris is constantly angry with me. I have to admit though, I kind of like seeing him so frustrated. Wasting his time is like a little revenge."

"Oh, don't say that. He gets angry mainly because he hates women like you."

"Like me?"

"High society women. One of them had his innocent brother condemned to the gallows. Since then, he is convinced you all bear the same guilt."

That evening, I went on deck with my ration of food in my hands. Dinner was usually served below deck, as it was too cold at night to be outside. But I liked the idea of being alone, undisturbed, at least for a few minutes. I went and sat down on one of the steps leading up to the bridge and started eating. Moments later, I jumped in fright as I felt a presence beside me. Arenis's cerulean eyes searched me in the dark. I didn't even deign to turn towards her. I shrugged and continued eating, ignoring her. She took a few steps forward, rested her arms on the balustrade, and looked down at the water, her back to me.

"Tomorrow we will dock at San Agustín for shore leave. You may disembark as well, if you wish," she spoke.

I looked up from the bowl, amazed. "You won't keep me locked in the cabin?"

"Not this time. I really think you need to get back to dry land; you've been on this ship too long."

I tried to contain my excitement. This was the perfect opportunity to attempt an escape. San Agustín... How far was it from Charlestown?