Chapter 8: The search

Y/n's eyes were set into a hash glare as he got dressed, pulling his grey jacket on rather forcefully and putting on his shoes like they owed him money.

He picked up the case that Zack had made him, running his thumb over the rainbow glowing lines. While he had been annoyed at first about the flashiness, it had grown on him, added some colour to his outfit.

Lila: "Why do you take that everywhere with you?"

He turned to see her in the doorway, wearing an overlong red turtleneck sweater and black tights, her main clothes for just being in their room.

Y/n: "Because I would sooner loose these..."

He picked up Ember and Shard from a special portion of his desk, designed to withstand their temperatures, and turned them into pistols before holstering them.

Y/n: "Than let this out of my sight."

Lila: "It's that powerful?"

She raised an eyebrow.

Y/n: "It could be a rusted knife made out of the cheapest junk in Remnant and it'd still be my greatest treasure."

He strapped the box to his back, his shoulder clicking as he rotated it to adjust to the weight, deliberately dodging her question.

Lila: "But you never use it."

He walked past her and opened the main door, sparing her a glance over the shoulder.

Y/n: "I'll use it when I'm ready."

He closed the door behind him, keeping his answer vague on purpose. He didn't actually have a real reason not to use the sword, but he always had a feeling of inadequacy when he held it, like he was holding something meant for a greater purpose than fighting. Besides, the other swords fit his style better.

He walked through the courtyard, not seeing anyone given the early hour. He knew that team RWBY had already left for Blake, after giving her the weekend to return, his promised head-start was over.

He couldn't be asked to wait for the next bullhead, so instead he pulled Shard from its holster, immediately switching to sword form. He lept into the sea, water freezing before he touched it.

Y/n: "Fuck it."

He rocketed forward, aura enhancement shattering his ice platform. Just before he landed, ice once again stopped him sinking, only to shatter again with another leap forward.

He covered the stretch of ocean far faster than he had when getting to Beacon for the first time. Sliding to a stop at the docks, where a boat was about to start unloading. The workers yelled at him as he walked past, understandable given they were unloading an SDC dust delivery, and his family's company wasn't known for good tolerance towards its workers and getting showered in sea water likely wasn't good for business.

He started wondering through Vale, still bustling with people for the upcoming festival.

-----

Blake and Sun were sat inside a café, in a corner booth. Blake took a drink from her tea, fidgeting and casting looks towards the rather large window. Sun was holding his own drink with his tail looped through the handle.

Blake: "You wanted to know more about me?"

She glanced again towards the window, not knowing how much of a head start Y/n was giving and fearing he could arrive at any time. She had wanted to get out of Vale, but Sun had kept here there.

Sun: "Finally, she speaks."

He threw up his hands sarcastically.

Sun: "Nearly two days and you've given me nothing but small talk and weird looks."