XVIII.

Chapter 18.

Raven

"Are you fucking with me right now?" I demand as I follow AJ and Connor down the hallway.

The noise level has risen quickly since we all dispersed, the other kids talking animatedly about what just happened, and what's going to happen. No doubt this news will spread before first period ends.

"AJ," I say firmly, grabbing his arm and pulling him to face me. "What the fuck were you thinking?"

"That prick needs to be taught a lesson." AJ narrows his eyes.

"And this fight?" I lower my voice. "Tell me you're not going to do it at the ring."

"Where else could he go?" Connor chimes in. "It's the best place for it."

I glare at him, then look back at my brother. "I thought you were done with that place. Has dad's situation taught you nothing?"

AJ tenses. "Don't bring him into this."

"Why not?" I snap. "He got carried away, and you're following in his footsteps."

The bell for class rings again, sending any remaining students in the hall scampering to their class.

Connor swears before saying, "I gotta get to class, I don't want another detention with Montoya. Catch you later!" He throws over his shoulder.

AJ and I continue to stare each other down. He may be a bit taller than me, and he may be my older brother, but he's still an idiot.

"You can't do this, AJ."

"Why do you keep defending this kid?" He demands, eyes narrowed at me.

"I'm not defending him, I'm trying to stop you from doing something stupid!"

He shakes his head, "no, you're defending him. You've been defending him since day one, ever since he bumped into you outside Myers' office."

"Well excuse me for trying to stop my moron brother from causing a fight outside the principle's office." I retort, anger boiling my blood. "Next time, I'll let you do it."

"This fight is happening, Raven, whether you like it or not."

I take a few seconds before answering, taking a step back from AJ. "Fine, just don't expect me to be there."

I turn on my heel and walk away from him. If he wants to be a stubborn ass, so will I.

By the time I walk into my literature class, it's already begun, and all heads turn to me when I walk through the door.

"Miss Mitchell." Mr Graham gives me a disapproving look from the front of the room, a book in his hand. "How nice of you to join us, I'm assuming you have a pass for being late?"

"As always your assumptions are wrong." I say blandly as I walk over to my desk beside Rissa and sit down, crossing my legs. I see her raise an eyebrow at me from the corner of my eye.

"Well then, it's a good thing I'm not going to assume you'll attend detention tonight, since you have no choice." He writes out a detention slip and places it on my desk before continuing with the lesson.