XVI

Chapter 16.

Gray

School was the last place I wanted to be after what happened at the weekend, but I don't really have a choice in the matter if I'm to keep the promise I gave my mom when we moved here.

To say that Ryan is pissed at me for punching Jonah would be an understatement. The entire car ride home from the party, he wouldn't stop yelling at me for being stupid enough to hit Jonah, saying how he's "a nice guy and isn't involved in this shit," and how I'm not even involved in it either.

I beg to differ, seeing how the only friend I've made here is caught up in this shit, and the Mitchell's dragged me in it the day they pissed me off and vice versa.

I shove a few books in my locker, I think back to a last Monday, realising how much has changed in the span of seven days.

"TAYLOR!"

The sound of my name yelled deeply throughout the hallway gains not only my attention, but the attention of every other student crowded around me.

Connor looks murderous as everyone parts like the Red Sea and leading him in my direction, their heads spinning to look at us both.

With a clenched jaw I shut my locker door and place my bag on the floor, knowing it will only get in the way of what's about to happen—and I know what's about to happen.

Connor stops six feet ahead of where I stand, our fellow classmates seemed to have formed a large circle around us, fencing us in and peering at us as if we're wild animals. Predator and prey.

Today, I know I'm the prey.

As if ogling at us wasn't enough, most people have their phones out, recording what will no doubt be a video going viral around the school as soon as this is over.

"What's up, man?" I nod at Connor casually, keeping my face neutral. "Good weekend?"

This seems to anger him further, and I watch as he scoffs sarcastically and nods at me, slowly smiling, no—smirking. "You're dead."

Thank God I didn't do any damage to my hand when I hit Jonah two days prior, because in the blink of an eye, Connor has lunged at me with his arm raised for a punch that I effortlessly dodge and return, hitting him square in the jaw. Startled yet even more pissed off, Connor grunts and faces me, eyes narrowed.

Gasps and whispers run through the other students as they watch the scene unfold.

I breathe deeply and keep my fists clenched as he charges at me again, this time hitting his target. I groan when his fist collides with my side and push him back, hitting his face again.

I lean back against the lockers and clutch one arm around my middle. Connor watches me like a hawk, but before he can attack again, a blur of dark hair has emerged from the crowd and stepped between us, her judgmental and captivating eyes assessing the scene.

"What the fuck did I tell you?" She shakes her head at Connor.

Sadly, AJ is right behind Raven, and bee lines straight to me with the same murderous look that Connor has.

I stand up straight, my fists itching to knock out AJ since day one.

"AJ," Raven says in a warning tone, knowing what's about to happen.

"One hit is all I need." AJ says as he slowly advances towards me.

I smirk at him. "To get knocked on your ass? I'll gladly prove that."

AJ emits a low growl and is about to pounce, but the only thing that stops him is his sister, who casually places herself in the gap between us.

His eyes move down to meet hers and darken even more. "Move."

"You're not fighting him in the middle of a crowded school hallway." She says to him calmly.

"I don't care," AJ growls. "He's pissed me off too many times, now move, Raven."

"No," she says firmly, crossing her arms over her chest and standing a bit taller. "You're not fighting him here, AJ."

AJ glares at me and takes a step forward, not caring that Raven is in the way. "I don't care where it is—"

AJ gets cut off by the warning bell's shrill ringing throughout the hallway, but no one moves.

"Name a time and place." I say casually, trying not to double over from the pain shooting up the side of my torso. If he won't fight me now, that's good. I'll have a better chance at winning if I'm not pinned in front of a row of lockers like I am right now.

Raven freezes, her head turns to face me.

AJ smirks and I even see Connor looking smug from the corner of my eye. "I'll come find you when I've decided."

So he's going to make me wait—it could be today, it could be three months from now. He could even pounce on me without any warning. It's a good tactic, it gives him the advantage. AJ smirks even wider at my hesitation. I feel Raven's eyes burning into me, but I resist looking down at her.

I nod, accepting the fight, no matter when it'll happen.

Raven curses loudly, then starts to shove her brother away. "Let's go asshole. You too," she glares at Connor and grabs his arm to drag him away. He shrugs her hand off.

This causes the pent up crowd of students to disperse, their conversations louder than usual as they hastily discuss what they just saw, and the fight that they're now anxiously awaiting to happen.

The trio get lost within the crowd, finally allowing me to collapse against the lockers, my right hand draped against my body as I gingerly touch my side. My face scrunches up in pain at the sensitivity. I can only hope this fight is long enough away I have time to get my body ready in time. Somehow though, I doubt luck is on my side for this one.

"Fuck." I whisper. What have I just gotten myself into? No, I haven't just got myself into this, I've been deep in it for a week now. And it's too late to dig myself out of it.

If this doesn't earn an explanation from Ryan, I don't know what will.