XXIII

Chapter 23.

Raven

          The weekend rolls around, bringing AJ's latest race with it.

After my usual morning routine at the gym, I dropped Mason and Will off at a friends' house each for a sleepover, once again promising the parents we would return the favour when our Aunt comes back to town after her 'business trip'. It would only be a matter of time until I would either have to come up with yet another excuse, or risk having the kids round and telling their parents there was no actual adult with them.

Yeah, I could do without that added hassle.

Our Dad's younger sister Terra stayed with us during the trial and for about a month after, to keep social services off our backs and show there was a legal adult living in the house and taking over custody. She didn't last long, itching to get back to her travelling and art.

We managed to keep her disappearance quiet from the boys' school, but I know this can't continue forever.

"What do you think?" I ask Alex and Rissa as I meet them outside the salon.

We decided to come to the mall, Alex wanted to go shopping and of course Rissa couldn't refuse her girlfriend of her favourite activity, and I wanted to get my hair dyed, fancying a change.

"Oh. My. God." Rissa's mouth gaped, and Alex's eyes widened as they both stared at me.

Suddenly, Alex's voice raises an octave or two. "I love it! Wow, you look hot."

"Totally hot." Rissa agrees.

I grin, "thanks."

I decided to add green to the front to my hair, also get it trimmed into long bangs, and then a balayage of the same vibrant green. Thankfully I went with the option of using a professional instead of taking up Alex's offer to do it with a box dye. Not that I didn't appreciate it of course, but I just couldn't help but think of when she tried to dye her own hair last year and it went horribly wrong.

The natural black of my hair makes the green colour pop, and luckily the shade was going to match my outfit for Halloween perfectly. It was still over a month away, but I like to plan ahead.

"What did you get?" I ask as we make our way over to the food court.

"This adorable new skirt." Alex gushes. "I might wear it tonight."

"You better." Rissa smirks at her, causing Alex to blush.

I smile, at them, though a slight pang of jealously hits me. Not because of them, because it's been too long since I had someone to flirt with, someone to dress up nice for...someone who looks at me the way Rissa looks at Alex and vice versa.

The last time I did have that with someone—with Jax—he left, leaving me with a broken heart I've only just started to piece back together.

*

Alex and Rissa drop me home from the mall around four P.M with a wave, saying they would be back round later for when we all carpooled to the tracks.

I wave them off and turn towards the house as they reverse down the drive, already having a new text popping up on my phone. It was Jonah in our groupchat.