oleander || chapter 5

"[Y/N]? Hello?" a familiar voice rings in my ears. I blink and sit up. Xavier stands next to me with a hand on my shoulder.

"Xavier? What are you doing here?" I ask.

"You didn't come back to the dorm past curfew, and I got worried. I snuck down here and the door was unlocked. Did you overexert your powers?"

"I was trying to grow white roses," I explain. "To do that, I needed to manage my emotions just enough to grow a rose but not so much that it was colored. I'm not good enough at growing by visualization yet, so I had to do it that way."

"Leave it to you to work yourself to sleep for flowers. It's pretty late, though, so you should go back to the dorms and get some rest there," he tells me. I nod and lock up before walking up to the room with him.

~=~

"Check it out, guys," Ajax waves Xavier and me over the next morning. He holds up a newspaper with a rather disturbing headline.

SMALL TOWN JERICHO SEES RECORD DISAPPEARANCES, VICTIMS RETURN DISORIENTED. COULD THIS BE CAUSED BY AN INCREASING OUTCAST POPULATION?

"So they're blaming us for kidnappings. Great," I remark sarcastically.

"Well, yeah, but Wednesday is convinced it has something to do with the fact that Xavier's old roommate disappeared a few years back. Just vanished out of thin air one day," Ajax tells us. Xavier rolls his eyes.

"Rowan was a sketchy guy anyways. She's just reading into things too much. I'm sure in a couple of days, she'll see that it's going nowhere and leave it," he says. Just as he finishes, Wednesday comes up to us holding a black notebook. She has a matching camera slung around her neck.

"Thing and I are going down to Jericho," she states. Thing waves from her shoulder. They walk away and the three of us look at each other before following her.

"Wednesday, we're coming with you," I tell her.

"I don't need your protection."

"Not to protect you. To protect ourselves from Enid when she finds out you told us where you went and didn't tell her."

"How did you know I didn't tell Enid?" she asks.

"Because she would never let you go," I respond. Wednesday shrugs and we continue to walk in silence until we reach the Weathervane, where a police officer is sitting in a booth. She walks up and sits down across from him.

"Hello. My name is Wednesday Addams, and I have a couple of questions about the recent disappearances," she tells him in her normal monotonous voice.

"Yeah, nice joke, kid. I don't have time to play detective with you," the officer says without looking up from his paper.

"I don't think you understand," Wednesday begins, "I am a student at Nevermore academy. I recently had a psychic vision about a victim of the disappearance the day before she returned, and I would like to be able to confirm if what I saw is true."

The officer drops his paper and looks at us for the first time. He sighs and pulls out a notepad. "Okay, Miss Addams, what did you see?"

"One minute. Now that I know you'll listen, I prefer to discuss matters over coffee. I will return momentarily," she tells him before getting up to order.

"And what are you three doing here?" the officer asks.

"We figured it would be better to come with her to Jericho than to face the wrath of her girlfriend if she found out Wednesday was pursuing this," Xavier tells him. The officer looks relieved.