Wattpad Original
There are 46 more free parts

| 28 | Strength

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

Jackson felt himself drowning in a thick pool of unanswered questions to which he felt he might never find the surface. Wilson, Damon, these dreams, and this new part of his life; there was so much happening around him at once. But he was used to it. He liked the chaos. Having more than one thing to focus on helped keep him on his toes. It kept his brain thinking and his mind whirring.

          Although he couldn't help but linger around a specific thought: he and Damon had kissed, he was sure the Alpha felt something for him, and he wanted to know where it was going. He'd not let his feelings blind him, though. If Damon refused to help him find Wilson, then he'd have no choice but to leave the Alpha and whatever they had together behind.

          Thinking about leaving Damon distressed him, though. It upset him so much he felt a sharp pain in his chest. It wasn't that serious, was it? He wasn't in love with him—they weren't married or soul mates or anything like that, they weren't even dating! It was just a kiss. Well, several...with tongue.... He shook his head and stared into the fireplace. It was just a kiss.

          "Anyone know if another hunting party is heading out?" Wesley called across the room.

          Bly shook her head. "I'm sure we'll hear something soon."

          "Who do you think is going to check out the town tomorrow?" Lance asked Vera.

          "I don't know. Probably the usual—Beta Elias, Zeta Tokala, Alpha Damon."

          "No Wesley, though," Bly said sternly.

          Wesley groaned in complaint.

          "You think he'll take the city boy again?" Alastor mumbled.

          Jackson really wished they'd use his name, but city boy was better than rogue.

          "I think he proved himself enough fetching Kajika's medicine," Vera said. "Alpha Damon will probably make him an Upsilon soon."

          As much as he'd like to think that, too, Jackson was quite sure Damon wasn't considering it. Just earlier, he'd said exactly what Vera had, and Damon had shut him down. Maybe the Alpha still felt he needed to prove he was worthy—either that, or he had to complete his initiation first. He wasn't sure, and he could probably ask any one of these people, but he didn't want to interrupt, nor did he really feel like having a conversation right now. No, he was perfectly fine within his thoughts.

          "Maybe we should ask," Lance suggested.

          "God, are you that hungry?" Bly uttered.

          "I know I am," Wesley said.

          Bly sighed quietly. "If you want to risk getting snarled at, go ahead. But I'm staying right here."

          Jackson looked over at them all, watching as they shot each other conflicted stares. He was sure they were talking about the hunting party, and he wasn't going to pretend he wasn't hungry. And as they murmured, the words slipped off his tongue, "I could ask."

          They all turned their heads to gawp at him.

          "Yeah, nah," Alastor said with a nod. "Chief likes you. He'll say yes."

          "You sure?" Wesley mumbled.

          Alastor shrugged. "Worth a shot."

          Jackson shuffled to the edge of the bench he was sitting on. "Yeah, I don't mind."