Wattpad Original
There are 37 more free parts

| 37 | Coincidence or Connection?

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

Jackson didn't want to go, but Damon had to get back to work.

          The Alpha sat up, allowing Jackson to do the same, and sighed quietly as he glanced over at the door.

          "Can I see you later?" Jackson asked him.

          Damon looked at him. "Maybe. It depends on what the stray says and what the scouts bring back." He stood up and tidied his hair. "You should get back to the celebration."

          He nodded. "Okay. I think I'm gonna go grab some clothes first, though. I still haven't really got used to the whole...naked all the time thing."

          "You can go through whatever everyone else didn't take—Dustu and Aiyana put everything in one of the storage cupboards."

          Jackson also stood up and followed Damon out into the hallway. "I'll go ask one of them." He leaned closer, and when the Alpha stared at him and waited, he smiled shyly and kissed his lips. Then, he turned around and headed towards the cellar doors. He looked back over his shoulder and watched Damon head back into the room where Julian was locked, and once the door clicked shut, he continued up the stairs and out into the courtyard.

          Everyone was still eating or talking. Someone had found an old accordion and a woman also had a fiddle; they played together while some of the pack danced, and for a moment, it seemed as though the fact there were undead wolves and wolf walker-killing hunters out there didn't bother anyone.

          Jackson headed through the courtyard and over to where Dustu and Aiyana were sitting.

          "Hey guys," he said, and as they looked up at him, he dragged his hand over the back of his neck. "Where, uh...where are all the clothes?"

          Dustu pointed to a doorway on the other side of the area. "Go through there, first door on your right."

          "Thanks."

          As Jackson made his way towards the doorway, though, he caught sight of Tokala, who was still sitting by the crates waiting for him.

          "Shit," he mumbled. Now he felt guilty. He'd been gone quite a while and hadn't even thought about Tokala. So, he changed coursed and walked over to the orange-haired man. "Hey, uh...."

          Tokala frowned as he looked up at him. "What took you so long?"

          "I was just talking to Alpha Damon about my initiation," he lied. "I'm gonna go grab some clothes—I'll be back in a sec."

          He nodded. "All right."

          Jackson hurried over to the doorway and inside. He located the room Dustu mentioned, and once he went in, he picked out a shirt, some trousers, and a pair of boots.

          When he took a jacket off the table, he revealed a blazer underneath with that same A Z sigil embroidered onto the pocket which he'd seen around the ruin and on Eric's business papers.

          He searched the suit, but all he found inside was a handkerchief and a small key. It was old and rusted and looked like it opened a door or large box. He was convinced it might come in use later—when he got a chance to explore more of the ruin, and if he came across any rusted doors or ancient-looking chests, at least he'd have a key to try and unlock them.

          With a quiet sigh, he pulled on the jacket and headed for the door. But when he reached it...he heard them again.

          Those voices.