Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

| 61 | Hypothesis

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

Everyone was horrified. The news of what happened in the woods spread faster than a contagious virus. But it wasn't the fact that a cadejo had spoken a word to everyone or that a rotting wolf bigger and stranger than any other had turned up that had Jackson trembling.

          It was that aggravated scowl on Damon's human face.

          The Alpha paced in front of Jackson while he waited on the couch. He was sure Damon was about to scold him, and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't prepare for it.

          Minutes passed and Damon didn't start. He kept pacing, his expression journeying through several scowls and frowns. He looked like he was gearing up to explode with an armoury of words. Was he that mad?

          He didn't want to piss him off...but if he didn't say something, Damon might end up pacing for the rest of the afternoon.

          "D-Damon—"

          "What the hell did you think you were doing?!" he suddenly exclaimed.

          Jackson tensed and gawped at him like a little boy being told off by his father for failing his maths test.

          "I told you to stay here! Why don't you listen?"

          He frowned but held his tongue. If he didn't want to escalate this, he'd have to choose his words wisely...and his attitude. "I-I couldn't sit here when you were out there. What if you needed help?"

          "We had it handled; my pack and I did fine before you were here. Inserting yourself into situations is more likely to do harm than help!"

          Jackson pouted. "I helped Ezhno, and then I helped everyone else take out those cadejo while you dealt with the big one," he said calmly. "I-I took care of it; I was fine, and everyone else is fine because I came and assisted."

          Damon turned around and shook his head. He dragged his hand over his face and faced him again, exhaling. "You were fine this time, Jackson. But next time, you might not be. I can't risk a situation where I'm unable to help you or forced to choose between protecting you or my pack." A look of confliction struck his face. "I...I will always choose you—my instincts won't let me leave you to face even the smallest danger—and I've lost too many wolves. I know you want to help, and I appreciate that, but we cannot afford to be reckless."

          Jackson looked at his lap. Damon was right. As much as he wanted to help...he did take a risk. Luck was on his side this time, as was courage, but he couldn't confidently say it would be the same next time. What if another variant appeared? What if something startled him? All of this was still new to him, and he couldn't be so incautious.

          "I'm sorry," he said. As Damon sat beside him, he glanced at the Alpha. "I just...want to help you. I want to be there in case something happens. I can't...." He stared at the Alpha. "If something happened to you, and I wasn't there to help you, I'd never forgive myself. I'm not gonna lie and say the thought of losing you doesn't horrify me—because it does—and every time I see you running into a fight, all I want to do is run with you."

          Damon sighed and lifted his hand to Jackson's face. "I know how that feels, Jackson. It's all a part of our new bond. But you must learn to control it and say no to your instincts sometimes, especially because you're still an Upsilon. I wouldn't be so worried if you were stronger and more experienced. But the thought of losing you terrifies me, too. I only say these things and act this way because I'm trying to protect you."