13) Champagne

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock

He waits, looking down at his wristwatch, counting every minute and every second that passes. He examines the clock before mumbling the time to himself, "eight-fourty,"

Russia tidies his suit, fixes his tie, and slicks back his hair. It's dark outside as the light illuminates from the open doors and tinted glass.

He stays out the balcony for god knows how long. Russia isn't ready to go back inside, even if he has to. He must.

His hand trails off the marble surface, passing through the balcony and into the crowded room.

His eyes darts around as he strolls pass the room hesitantly, attempting to find his missing partner. Until a hand rests upon his shoulder from behind

"Russiaaa... where were you," America slurs, his shirt reeks of alcohol,"Don't go anywhere, I'm not done with you,"

"You're," Russia lingers, "drunk."

"I'm not... hic! drunk"

Russia sighs, hooking America's limp arm over his shoulder, "Let's get you back, I think you've had enough champagne for tonight."

✦✦✦

Russia leads America through the crowded room full of guests and strangers, turning past the receptionist without looking back at the entrance as they walk out of the event hall.

The full moon illuminated the starry night as America's face grows redder and redder than the streaks of his flag, his half-lidded tipsy eyes glimpsing over at Russia.

But Russia keeps staring forward, unable to bare to even glance down at his intoxicated partner. His mind racing with no actual thoughts running through it. Seemingly occupied, as if he's attempting to distract himself from an unpredictable situation.

America hums a tune as they get into a nearby taxi, a hand creeps from behind the backseat, tapping on Russia's shoulder gently like a ghost.

"JESUS--"

"Did you two have fun?" China coos, relaxing his head against the headrest.

Russia gawks at China in disbelief, surprise, and confusion. How in the world did China know which taxi they were getting in, and most importantly why is it necessary for him to hide behind the seat?

But then again, this is China we're talking about. He's unforeseen and unpredictable.

"Where the hell did you came from?" Russia looks up and down as if China's some sort of ghost or alien.

"I came from my mother,"

"That's not what I-- forget it,"

America lets out a strained snicker, his head falling against Russia's shoulder before mumbling,

"Has it ever crossed your mind that we're technically not cops anymore, just vigilantes getting paid by some snobby rich guy wearing funny-looking glasses,"

"America." Russia sighs, "China's right behind us,"

"Hm?" He squints his eyes but doesn't indulge, "Oh."

instead, America continues napping.

"He's a funny one, isn't he?" China lets out a chuckle, "But I'm afraid your partner's not entirely wrong. Even if I'd hate to admit it, I'm risking your career, aren't I?"

"My career's the least of my worries," Russia looks down at America who snores peacefully against his shoulder, snuggling closer. Russia's gaze softens at the sight of him, a subtle smile slowly curving into his mouth.