It was an accident

I wasn't expecting a family reunion when I woke up this morning.

I can't say I'm sorry it's happening, though I would have appreciated it if we could have scheduled it for later in the day. Who hacks into a government agency at 7 in the fucking morning.

My family.

I'm just happy that we could set up notifications for the backdoor. The GIW has never been very bright, but with them using more and more unaltered Fenton Tech, they've become a problem. They've stepped up their presence online, scrubbing everything about Amity Park off social media and other public records. I didn't realize how much of a problem they've become until ghosts started to go missing. I still see my catalog of rogues every other day, but the others, the harmless visitors, keep going missing. They would leave the Realms to visit family or indulge in their obsession and never return. It took us days, but Tucker, Technus, and I got an in on the GIW's server. It was well worth Technus's monologues, and I can't say that we didn't learn anything at the end of the day.

Though I can't say, I expected this. Nothing short of Pariah dark waking up could drag me away. Ahki's right there.

Just an hour's flight away.

I had hoped it would still work, that communicator, but I wasn't too sure. It had taken a lot of damage in that fall. So I did what I could for it. In the end, the whole outer shell had to be replaced, along with some of the wiring, but it looks good as new. I even gave it a new paint job in some of Jack's ecto paint.

I can't help but watch Damien longingly as he interacts with the others before asking, " and how exactly would you know that?"

I give him a sad, understanding smile, "well, you didn't think you were the only one still involved in the nightlife, did you?"

Their eyebrows raise from behind their mask– why are they still wearing them when I know who they are – while Tim starts to mess with the computer.

I snort at their reaction, " Ahki, I would think you would know me better than that. It's not like I could leave them be when I can help."

Damien flounders, a bit flabbergasted, " You've always hated violence?  So why–"

I give him an unamused look, " Yeah, well, it's not like you liked it any better than I did," though I level with him, " it's not always about what you like. It's about what's necessary. I couldn't let them suffer when I could do something about it."

I see Mr. Wayne–Bruce– Father– Dad? Never mind that that's an issue for future Danny,  try to hide a smile,  though he's not doing a very good job of it. My focus breaks away as Tim keyboard smashes, " Are you some kind of cryptic," he asks me, " because there are no signs of you being a vigilante in Amity."

I pause, trying to figure out an answer for him. I can't admit I'm Phantom. Who knows what kind of surveillance the fruit loop has hidden up here. Not to mention Jack or Maddie. "It's a bit complicated,"  I manage to get out, " I can't say much about it here, but if you watch my first message, I explained a little bit in the end."

Jason cuts in, sounding skeptical, accusing, "I would've remembered you talking about being a vigilante," He crosses his arms.

Damnit, he used the 'V' word. I cross mine back to assert dominance, "I hinted at it. What did you expect me to say, 'hey Ahki,  I know it's been years but guess what? I picked up vigilantism too,'  like come on, be realistic."

I see Richard– though the press calls him Dick, I'll have to ask which he prefers– try to smother a laugh but fail miserably at it. "He does have a point. It's secret identity 101."