Oh no he didn't

" Oh, thank god," Jason says, exiting the portal and entering the Batcave, " solid ground."

I exit after him, rolling my eyes, "Stop whining. It's not that bad."

" Maybe to you, Casper, but I prefer my feet on the ground," Jason says, taking off his jacket and putting them away while I change back into human form.

" I thought you liked to fly? You never said otherwise."

Jason snorts, "You've got the wrong bat, Dickybird's the flyer."

" But just the other day, you were telling me that your friends have to lug you around like a sack of potatoes, flying away from one thing or another. Why'd you let them if you hate it so much?"

" The good of the mission," Jason explains, sighing. " If it helps us get away or save one more person, I'll put up with whatever methods are necessary."

" I get that," I say, heading to the elevator, " and I'll keep your aversion to flying in mind. You going up?"

" I guess," Jason says, raking his fingers through his hair, which, to me, was an odd movement. Jason, to my observations, isn't usually so fidgety. But here he is, standing next to me, shifting his weight from one foot to another, sucking on the inside of his cheek.

" You okay?" I can't help but ask.

" Yeah, why?"

" Nothing, nothing," I say, inching closer to the elevator buttons, " you just seem off."

" Off how?" Jason asks, just as the elevator goes to a screeching stop.

" Your lack of observation, for one. You didn't even notice me pushing the emergency stop. What's going on with you? You've been acting off since we left the Farfrozen."

" Nothin's wrong. Stop making somethin out of nothin," Jason chastises, reaching over to restart the elevator, but I grab him, turning him intangible. He doesn't notice until his arm goes through the panel, "let go."

" No. Not until you fess up. Something's bothering you. I don't know if it's from your prognosis or what, but I know once you get up there, you're gonna run," I say steadily. I can't judge. After all, I would do the same thing. " I don't know where you plan to go, but you can't leave like this. You're going to get someone hurt, probably yourself, maybe others. Talk to me. What can I do to help?"

" You could let me go!" Jason exclaims, trying to pry my hands off of him. It doesn't work. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

" I don't? Then why don't you inform me," I say. Jason glares at me. Having given up on being released, he gives me the silent treatment. Eventually, Jason wins out as I sigh, " Just promise me you'll be at the manor tonight. You aren't in the headspace to be going anywhere."

" If I promise, will ya' leave me alone?" Jason asks.

" If you promise," I agree.

"Then I promise," Jason says, " I won't go anywhere."

I let him go and say, " I'll hold you to that," then restart the elevator, and in no time, we are stepping into the manor.

" Huh," Jason remarks, " surprised the old man had it in him."

" What?" I ask, confused. What on earth is he on about?

"Never mind," Jason huffs. We wander the halls until we come across Dad. He's relaxing comfortably in one of the sitting rooms, surrounded by various files. Both super and civilian.

" I take it you're done? Ready to rejoin the living," Dad jokes, monotone, eyes never leaving the file. Jay and I side-eye one another, which goes unnoticed. " You were expected back hours ago. You've missed Alfreds' wonderfully cooked dinner, and it's almost time for patrol," he sets down his papers and stares us down," What do you have to say for yourselves?"