Chapter 12

_______________________________

Y/N's POV

In the corner of my eye, I saw Usagi and Arisu catching up.

"I knew you would try a physical game. So, the only options were the Queen of Spades and the King."  Right after Arisu mentioned that, the both of them hugged tightly.

Usagi's eyes softened. Rarely did I see her this relaxed. Her gaze followed Arisu's and she noticed that he was looking at Kota.

_

"You almost made me think you were dead" Yaba joined in our conversation, walking up to Banda.

"And be that easy to get rid of?" Banda playfully questioned.

It's not like we have been friends for long, but I felt an unusual closeness and belonging with this group of people.
I shook the scary thought of being this vulnerable away before I digged through my mind any deeper and stumbled upon things I didn't want.

"This is Kota" I introduced the two males to the child. "His visa runs out today."

"We thought this was the best option" Usagi added.

Just then, a bright white light beamed from a large screen. "Game; Checkmate" a robotic female voice announced from the intercoms.

Here we go.

After the short introduction, the Queen of Spades showed up on the monitor.

The boy trembled as he heard that she had picked him to be the king. Arisu nudged him to stay calm and flashed him a reassuring smile.

The rules were explained. It was basically a special game of tag with our lives at stake.

"Please equip your vests, with the buttons facing the back." was the last thing the PA woman informed us of.

"Doesn't this sound fun?" Banda told me.

"It's definitely interesting. But not because of the game itself. It will certainly be entertaining to see how the people will act..." I commented, as we were slowly making our way to the blue lit-up vests.

"We'll see" I shrugged my shoulders.

Banda took two of the equipments. He put one of them on and helped me with mine. The tall man stood in front of me and looked down as he wrapped his arms around me to do it.

"Don't think I forgot what you did" I shot him a kinda playful but lowkey serious look. By now the short distance between us didn't fluster me as much anymore.

As he silently secured the gear by closing it, he was purposely avoiding my intense gaze. Before walking away, he took one look at me.

He opened his mouth to say something but Banda stopped himself before a word got out. I furrowed my eyebrows as he just continued to join Yaba and the group.

Some sirens blared. "Round one. Queen Team's turn begins. It will last 5 minutes"

"Game start."

All of a sudden we heard loud footsteps coming from under us. When I looked down, I saw vests with red light lit up.

"They're coming for us!" "Let's split up!"