twenty five

The correct word to describe it was 'strange', Andin decided. It was strange to fall into a deep slumber when her mind was so disturbed, but her mental and physical exhaustion was such that she fell soon afterward into bottomless sleep, her body curled on its side, one hand beneath her cheek, in the attitude of a weary child.

Perhaps her mind was not completely asleep because she could feel him. She was not sure what the time was and whether she was imagining things or it was truly happening. But she felt his hand touching her face, caressing her cheek, and then she felt his lips on her forehead, giving her a light goodnight kiss someone would give a child.

Andin wanted to open her eyes so badly to see whether it was merely fickle of her imagination or if it was real, yet her eyes remained shut. Another proof that she had been so worn out.

Then she finally awoke. At first, her lids reluctantly raised themselves in the face of strong sunlight. After a few seconds, she could finally see her surrounding. She stretched her body then rolled over to one side of the bed and got up. She went to the bathroom and after making sure that both doors were locked, she ran the water on the bathtub and added lavender and rose oil she had found on the counter by the sink. She slipped into the scented bath and leaned her head back against the edge of the tub. Warmth enveloped her, and she closed her eyes. The events of the day before raced through her mind and she sighed heavily. Everything had changed in a matter of twenty-four hours. No, everything had changed since they shared a kiss in his bedroom during his birthday party. It was as if for the first time ever, he recognized her present. For the first time, he took notice of her. And not just as his secretary but as a woman. A woman he found desirable, not frigid and professional alike.

Andin got out of the bathtub after relaxing for another half an hour and cleaned herself up then got dressed. Once she had made sure that her clothes were proper and showed no vulnerability nor did they reveal more skin than necessary, she took a deep breath and through the joint bathroom, she opened his side of the door.

"Sir?" When there was no response, she called him a little louder. "Mister Summers?"

Still, there was no reply so she walked further inside his room only to find that he was nowhere to be seen. He had left and he had not left any note for her. Panic began to surface as her mind was forming all the worst-case scenarios. Then the doorbell rang and it was coming from her room so she went through the bathroom again, all the way to the vestibule, then opened the door.

A hotel staff was standing in front of her with a polite smile on his face. "Buongiorno, Signorina."

"Yes," Andin replied. "May I help you?"

He pushed the tray close to the door and said, "I brought your breakfast, Signorina."

"I'm sorry, I think you're mistaken. I didn't order breakfast."

"Are you Signorina Andin Williams?"

"Yes."

"Then I believe this is your breakfast, Signorina. Someone has ordered it for you. May I?"

Andin moved away from the entrance and held the door open as the hotel staff pushed the tray inside her room. While he was setting everything up, she reached for her purse and pulled out twenty Euros.

"Your breakfast is ready, Signorina," he gestured at the splendor of food, a jar of pineapple juice, and a pot of coffee. There were too many food and drinks that she would not exactly call that breakfast. Her usual breakfast was plain toast and a cup of tea. "Please call me when you need it cleared."

He walked to the door and she handed him the twenty. "Grazie."

He put the bill inside his pocket, then blushed. "Oh, I almost forgot." He fished out a note from his pocket. "I should've put this on the tray but I forgot. Ecco, la Signorina Williams."