the mountain spirit

To my aunt Bea,

Once upon a time, in a forest in central France, a group of hikers was fascinated by mountaineering.

 One day, they decided to climb a mountain whose top was hidden between the clouds. Tom, the sportiest of them all, began to climb on the first catch that was within his reach. John, Maggie and Ameline followed him. Raoul, the dean of the group, closed the march.

They were all connected with a rope that could support 500Kg. They quickly reached a ledge at the edge of the cloud wall. They ate local bread and cheese from the Saint Nectaire. Tom gave his final hints: Be careful, stones can get slippery because of the water in the clouds."

After the last checks, they went up again. After Amélie had passed the layer of clouds, they heard Raoul shouting. Tom thought he had fallen, so he bandaged all the muscles of his body, ready to carry the weight of his old friend, but nothing happened.

Raoul always shouted «help, I fly». Ameline, bewildered, went down a little and saw her friend floating in the air a meter from the wall. He gave the impression of fighting an invisible creature. After being stunned by this unreal spectacle, Ameline asks the old man "what's going on Raoul?" The man raised his head and saw his friend «a force held me in the air and attacked me. I felt his blows and I... aaaaahhhhhhhhh»

Raoul had just fallen, the rope had broken.

Ameline, in shock, shouted in her turn «Raoul, noooooooon».

Tom, realizing it wasn't a joke, hurried to the nearest ledge and helped John and Maggie with him. On the count of three, they raised Ameline in tears, gave her a cover of survival and Maggie, who was her friend, the closest to the group, asked her:

"What happened?

"I don't know, sniff," replied Ameline, "Raoul was there, then he flew, then he fell."

John examined the rope holding Raoul.

"It was sabotaged," he said.

Tom startled, "it's impossible," he exclaimed, "I checked everyone's equipment and the condition of all the ropes."

"She was cut with a knife," said John.

It was then that Ameline hurriedly got up and approached Tom and yelled at him:

"The only one who checked the equipment was you, and oddly enough, an accident happened."

And she faints on those words.

John caught her before she fell off the ledge and took care of her. Maggie, meanwhile, comforted Tom who had begun to think and psychotic......So, what happened?    What's the cause?     Tom or a supernatural being?

Tell me everything in comments, do not hesitate to leave a small vote.

and if you're interested in subscribing, don't hesitate