chapter three

THE AWFUL sound of the alarm clock woke me up at 6:30, I couldn't wake up for the next fifteen minutes. God, I'm hungover, my head felt ten times as heavy as if it was going to explode thinking about last night's events.

I already have some images in my head, a bit blurry, but I still can't remember some of it. I won't drink anymore, I won't drink tequila like a teenager. I'm at the age where I should start drinking wine with dinner, not going to the clubs like other people.

And Spencer, I don't know who writes my destiny, but I saw him after thinking about him a lot. Although he saw me in a very bad light, I don't know why I worry so much about what he'll think of me.

He's so attractive, I never thought a man could be so attractive. I guess these thoughts are in my head because of that moment last night in the car.

How much I wanted him to kiss me. But he didn't.

He was so close to me... and who knows when I'll see him again.

Reluctantly, I left the bed and immediately went into the shower. Cold water has always been the enemy of the hangover, within ten minutes I felt much better. I hope that everything will calm me down until the first lecture, which starts at eight o'clock.

Only then did I remember that he had taken me to my apartment on the third floor. I remember he still had a worried look on his face, but I tried not to talk about these things.

"Lock up and go to sleep. Drink lots of water in the morning and you'll be as good as new," he said, leaning against the wall right next to the door so I could unlock the apartment myself.

I succeed the third time, so I'm satisfied myself.

"Ally?" he calls before my hand presses the doorknob. I just look at him, not having the strength to speak.

"Good night," he whispers before pressing a kiss to my forehead. I walk into my apartment and lock it.

After breakfast, it was time to leave the building and slowly walk to class. It takes me exactly 15 minutes to walk on average, but I sacrificed a few minutes for a coffee from the same café down the street.

Psychology is a new subject to which I can devote myself fully, for two and a half weeks I didn't go to lectures in order to concentrate fully on the thesis in criminology. Time for a new subject, my favorite subject.

It was two minutes to eight, which meant I'd probably be late for class. I didn't know where the psychology office was; I hadn't been in that subject before. I strolled down the hallway of this great academy until I came upon office number 42.

I pushed the door handle and entered the office, where only a couple of them looked at me reproachfully because I was late?

The professor was talking about the basics of psychology, like a review before starting a new subject.

I noticed that there were a lot more girls in this class than usual. Half of them I've never seen before in my life.

"You're late," I hear a familiar voice only after I get close enough to the chair. I can't look up because I think this is some kind of nightmare.

It's impossible to keep running into him. Especially not after last night.

"I know, I was looking for a classroom," I answer him.

"It's come to my attention that you haven't been to class in the last two weeks," Spencer looked me straight in the eye. My cheeks are definitely burning now.

"I know I'll make it all up to you," why is this so tense and difficult. I can't tear myself away now that I know he's teaching me this subject. does that mean I'll be seeing him more?

Toward the end of class, Spencer admonished a girl who was clearly disrupting the others.

"I think you should write that down because I'm definitely going to put that to the test," he tries to sound serious, though frustrated at being disrespected by her.

"Actually, I'm here as a listener, I mean, this class is open to everyone," the black-haired girl laughed and smiled like a seal.

Why am I jealous?

"Oh, okay... is there anyone else here as a listener?" he cleared his throat before turning to the whole class. At least thirty girls raised their hands without the slightest bit of shame. They seemed obsessed, enamored.

Yes, definitely jealous.

Spencer didn't have a very pleasant opinion of these things. He had come here to teach and share his knowledge of the subject, and most of the attendees were here because of him. It fed his ego, his confidence grew, but it wasn't fair to the students who wanted to learn.

"That's the thing about this class, I don't have much time and work is calling," he clapped his hands nervously. "You may go."

In a few minutes almost everyone left the room, I was the last one left. I made sure there was no one else in the room but us, although the last girls to leave looked at me very strangely.

"When were you going to tell me you were teaching here?", I asked him, trying not to sound too curious.

"I wasn't going to, I wanted you to find out for yourself," he said jokingly.

"Why didn't you come to the lectures?" he asked me, much more seriously this time.

"I was working in criminology, of course I know what classes I missed, it's not many," I answered him honestly. He gathered his things and put them in his bag.

"How are you doing? You look ... okay," he commented.

"I feel fine," I say shortly as we walk to the door. "Do you want to get a coffee?" I asked him, desperately needing another one.

He nods, briefly puts his hand on my back and continues with the story. Soon we were at the coffee store he had been talking about. He goes there because he doesn't meet any students there that he could meet.

The café seemed so cozy, and the most important thing was that there was enough space to avoid crowding. The smell of coffee and cookies was so strong that it lingered for hours.

"You look pleased," Spencer noted, only because I was undecided about the coffee and cookies I had taken.

"I look hungover and I'm here to enjoy myself," I say before realizing I may have sounded rude.

"How much did you drink last night?", I'm surprised when he asks this question. "I mean, you were really bad."

"Quite a bit, I never want to try tequila again in my life," I laugh at his response. "I don't have many drinks to choose from anymore, I cross one off every time."

"Try to enjoy the wine," smart guy. He must be able to read minds, because just this morning I was thinking about how I can only drink wine now.

"Oh, I definitely will," I smile, not wanting to be cranky around him, he always had a smile on his face.

I received an email with the results of the final paper. I was too excited to open the link to the results list. I took a deep breath, several times. Spencer was just watching what I was doing, not wanting to interrupt me.

"I passed!", I said a little louder, I think a few of them turned to look at us. A wave of relief gripped my body. Thank God I passed.

"I knew you'd pass!", he doesn't even know what he's doing by acting like that. He's happy for me, as if he has known me all his life.

"Why didn't you kiss me in the car?", I ask him with big balls, I certainly don't have much to lose, after all he's my professor.

"You were drunk, I'll kiss you when you're sober."

"I'm sober now," I say again with big balls.

"I know," he says shortly.