bonus chapter #1

THREE AND HALF YEARS LATER

"Garcia, slow down, we're on our way!" I cut her off in my hurried talking while focusing on the documents in my lap, I soon cut her off since I can't focus on her and the papers concerning the deaths a couple of years ago. My gaze is drawn to Spencer, who is completely focused on the road ahead of us, despite the fact that he is driving like a crazy to avoid the morning rush hour.

"Slow down, Spence, we're going to die!" Look at how the guys in front of you jump out and shift lanes..." He's never driven this wild before, I remark, full of anxiety. This was unusual for him, and I'm not used to wild rides with him.

"I'm going to throw up, Spence," I warn him, as my brain warns me with a badly formed sensation in my mouth. I hurriedly take a bag of eaten donuts and relieve myself with it. I'm disgusted with myself right now, but I didn't have any other options.

Spencer's gaze shifts away from the road and toward me as we slow down. He whispered briefly, "Sorry..." "I don't want to waste time in traffic because he's killing cops, and we're all in danger," he says softly as he pulls over to the side of the road next to a parking space. He leans back to pass me a bottle of water, so I get out of the car and throw the bag as far away from me as possible. I'm still sick to my stomach, but it's much better now that one part of me is gone.

"I'll drive now, and we'll definitely get there, but I don't know what's gotten into you today," I grumble to him as I wait for him to get out of the car and sit in the passenger seat.

"You don't even have a badge with you, so if this chase is justified, you're not normal--" Just as I finished my sentence, the acid rushed back up my throat. Is there an end in sight?

"Ally, what's wrong with you?" Spencer inquired, concerned. "I had rotten cheese in my breakfast sandwich this morning," I explained.

"Then you'd have diarrhea instead of vomiting..." I correct him with a look, and he simply shuts up. This time, with me as driver, we arrive to the police station on time and, most importantly, alive.

Hotch gives Spencer his ID so he can roam the building freely and gather documents unattended. Everyone's expressions indicated that they were grateful he was there to assist, despite the fact that the case was far from easy or cheery. Nobody knew who would come next or who the next target may be. At least 25 cases are comparable to this one, and they should all be investigated as quickly as possible.

"Guys, I believe this newspaper is still for sale - almost every crime scene has this newspaper on the front page. If the unsub was interacting with his colleague through advertising before, he's probably still doing it now," Spencer muses as he examines the board in front of him. We all gather around him as he searches the other evidence files for the same newspaper.

"It takes 21 days to develop a routine, this has been going on for 10 years and I doubt he will give up this way of communication for this modern one which is much easier to follow", of course, which would make it easier for us to catch him if we can kill ourselves from thinking now.

"Morgan and Tara, go to the publishing house and request all original copies of the newspaper dating back ten years. JJ, try to get in with the old channels that carried all the news about these murders; maybe one of them paid them off to spread those stories more frequently," Hotch said as he looked around at the rest of us.

"You two, search the rest of the evidence, maybe something matches up," Spencer and I agree and go right to work.

"Emily, Rossi, and I are going to the other police stations to find out more about the victims." We're staying in touch nonetheless, Penelope; it's up to you to keep it that way." Penelope simply nodded before going back inside her cozy den.