Restless Night

Chapter 3

(Reader's POV)

We hopped to the top of the hole I fell down to get into the warren. It was barely dusk and my family was looking for me. They were calling out my name from different areas of the park. I turned to Bunny thinking of how to say good bye.

He was still, but his ears were twitching and moving. Bunny turned to me. "What are the chances you'll be here tomorrow?"

"Very likely. Tomorrow's my last day here."

He nodded slowly, and I quickly embraced him. He held me back. After a moment, he let go. "Your family is looking for you. You should go to them."

"Bunny..."

He turned to me.

"Tomorrow for sure?"

He smiled. "Maybe earlier so we have more time together. We got a lot more eggs painted than I expected." He hopped away.

I ran to my family so they could stop worrying. They asked where I had been and I told them I was climbing trees and chasing rabbits. They called me childish and to warn them next time. I simply smiled and nodded. I knew the truth they would never believe.

Instead of sleeping when they told me, I began to plan what Bunny and I would do. I drew little pictures of how I was going to paint some of the eggs.

(Bunnymund's POV)

I sensed that Pitch was near. If there was anything that he loved more than fear it was insecurity, an easy manipulation of the mind. She was an easy target for him. In those short moments with her I knew a little more than I thought.

I searched the forest and didn't find him, so I went back to the warren. My eggs were crowded around the entrance. They gestured around, looking for (_your name_).

"Stop your scrambling warriors," I crossed my arms, "she'll be back tomorrow."

The eggs jumped several times. The biggest ones changed their expressions to the smiles. I caught myself smiling, but I wasn't quite sure why.

"Seems the little rabbit has a new friend."

I jumped into my battle stance, and my eggs prepared themselves. I could smell Pitch as he moved and laughed around my warren.

He finally showed himself to me. "You know, it's one thing to bring a child into this warren, but her?" He grinned. "Someone has been very naughty. Tell me rabbit, is she anything like the one you lost all those years ago?"

I glared at him. "It's nothing like that."

"Oh I think it is. She's coming back tomorrow, and everyone, EVERYONE is so happy about it."

I threw my boomerang at him. He dodged it both times.

"Silly little rabbit. I'm not here to fight. I'm here to help you."

"Help me? Ha! What makes you think I need your help?"

He appeared in front of me. "I can get rid of her for you. Bunny, she's an adolescent. She's not going to forget like she's supposed to unless we use my method."

"And what method might that be?" I slightly pushed him back.

"Oh nothing that'll hurt her. You know she has to forget." He smiled. "Just like the one from 400 years ago."

"They're not the same."

"Only because this one doesn't have to die."

My breath stilled, and I began to glare. "She died because of you and me."

He smiled. "Keep telling yourself that. It might help you, but we both know the truth... don't we?"

I began to hop after him as he disappeared into the shadow of the warren. I was too late. He was gone.

"Remember, she won't forget on her own." Pitch laughed loudly. "And maybe she doesn't have to die." His laugh echoed as I lost his scent.

I looked around, and I could sense that he was gone. My eggs walked over to me. I looked at every one of them.

"There's no time to rest. Many of you have to be painted."