Shrinking Embe

—STORY—

—STORY—

Two little girls named Lina and Embe reside in a tiny village that is encircled by verdant forests and glistening waterways. They are both inquisitive and daring, constantly looking for novel experiences and educational possibilities. They speak in quite different ways, though.

Lina is well renowned for her kind and respectful speech, whereas Embe frequently uses crude language, especially around the village's elders. Embe persisted in speaking disrespectfully despite the admonitions from her parents and the village elders, believing that it was OK as long as she got her point across.

As Embe and Lina browsed the market, they noticed an elderly woman selling veggies Ms. Dolly. She was brutally addressed by Embe, who bemoaned having to deal with seniors and discounted their value. Lina reprimanded Embe immediately, informing her that respect for senior citizens is due. Embe wasn't persuaded because he believed that being nice was boring and useless.

Lina advised Embe to practice good manners and treat everyone with love and respect, regardless of their age or status, as they left. But Embe remained disdainful and hostile.

Lina decided to carry on their conversation in a more private place since she felt that Embe's behavior was unacceptable. She drew Embe aside and talked quietly to her.

"Ms. Dolly is an elder, and she deserves our respect and decency. Embe, I know it can be frustrating to interact with people you don't necessarily want to talk to," she said.

Eyes rolling, Embe said. "I don't understand why I should be kind to her only because of her age,"

Lina groaned. "Trust me, being kind to other people is not boring; on the contrary, they can be quite satisfying. It's not only about her age, Embe; it's about showing respect to everyone."

Although Embe wasn't persuaded, Lina was aware that she needed to keep attempting to convince her friend. After all, she didn't want Embe to live life with such disdain for other people.

As they moved through the market, Embe and Lina's dialogue lingered in the background. They passed a group of elderly people who were conversing and laughing together. Unable to help herself, Embe laughed at them.

"Why can't they just keep to themselves? Why do they have to be so loud?" Asked Embe.

Lina glared at Embe sternly. "People have a right to enjoy themselves and be happy, therefore you shouldn't judge them in such a way," Lina said.

Eyes rolling, Embe said. "Whatever, it doesn't seem to matter."

But Lina was aware that it was important. She was aware that Embe's disdain for senior citizens would only cause problems in the future. She needed to figure out how to communicate with her.

They strolled by a shop selling lovely jewelry as they went by. Embe was admiring a stunning necklace when her eyes began to shine.

She pointed to the jewelry and said, "I want this!"