The Lucky Leaf

—STORY—

—STORY—

The promise of fresh starts and good fortune had arrived with the arrival of spring in a wonderful world. A young girl named Peth, who consistently carried a lucky leaf with her, was one among the numerous people who celebrated this season. Peth was certain that the leaf was lucky for her, especially since it was St. Patrick's Day.

Peth ran into her buddy Fae, a classmate, one morning on her way to school. Peth's lucky leaf caught Fae's attention, and she inquired about it.

Fae questioned Peth, "Hey Peth, what's that shiny green thing you're always wearing around your neck?"

Peth answered with a smile, "It's my lucky leaf. I always carry it with me since it is lucky for me, especially on St. Patrick's Day."

Fae took a keen interest in Peth. "Can I have one too? Does it truly work?"

Peth chuckled. "I'm sorry, but I only have one lucky charm; perhaps you can locate your own. I don't know if it truly works, but I like to think it does."

Fae nodded, but Peth could tell that her friend was disappointed by what she had spoken. She was a little remorseful that she couldn't give Fae her lucky leaf, but she couldn't deny how much it meant to her. Peth tightly gripped her lucky leaf as they said their goodbyes and made their way to class, feeling appreciative for the solace and optimism it had given her.

Peth marveled at the bright spring hues all about her as she strolled through the magical woodland on her way to school. The ground was covered with a carpet of vibrant flowers, and the trees were alive with new leaves.

Peth abruptly heard stirring in the underbrush. She halted and scanned the area, but she found nothing. She dismissed it and carried on with her journey.

But as she rounded the corner, she spotted some cheeky goblins up ahead. Peth was aware that they were troublemakers and should be avoided at all costs. However, the goblins noticed her before she could turn around and flee.

One of them scoffed, "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" "A young child wearing a shiny green leaf around her neck."

Peth felt helpless and exposed after the goblins stole the fortunate leaf from around her neck. Her chest began to tighten as terror set in.

She wailed, grasping for her fortunate leaf, "Give it back!"

Peth was left alone and in need when the goblins simply chuckled and fled into the woods. She had the impression that everything in her universe had collapsed and that she had lost herself. No matter what it took, she had to get her lucky leaf back.

Without her lucky leaf, Peth stood there feeling lost and lonely. She was aware that it served as her main source of solace and hope, particularly on Saint Patrick's Day. She had the impression that a piece of her had been severed.