thirty five

❤︎ chapter thirty five
cornelia street

cami rushed outside, twisting and ducking through masses of people nimbly

cami rushed outside, twisting and ducking through masses of people nimbly. her heart was racing with fear and a nervous anticipation. she didn't know what she would find, but she hoped drew wasn't getting hurt.

rudy and jd, on the other hand, were not worried about drew in the slightest. they were worried about cami, and she was slipping away from them without them being able to catch up.

cami finally reached the exit door, bursting through it and rounding the corner like her life depended on it. she stopped short as she saw what was happening.

the man was bleeding profusely from his nose and mouth; and yet drew kept punching him, one of his hands tight on the man's shirt to keep him in place and the other swinging through the air.

cami couldn't see drew's face, but she could feel tears begin to fill her eyes. she had never seen drew like this. she didn't even know he was capable of this.

she hated to admit it, but she was afraid to go up to him and try to stop him.

that's where jd and rudy found her—internally torn, trying to make a decision. rudy quickly went up to drew, pulling him off the man, who slumped against the wall. oh my god, he's unconscious, cami realised in horror.

"hey, hey—drew, look at me. you need to calm your shit."

drew looked away from rudy in defiance, throwing his bloodied hands in the air. he caught sight of cami, surprise flickering over his face for a split second before he came over to her.

"cami—cami, hey, don't cry." drew's jaw unclenched, his face softening. he let her fall into his chest, wrapping his arms around her. "what's wrong?"

she tripped through her words, her brain a jumbled mess. "i just—it was a lot, seeing him, and i—i... i can't—"

"shhh," he said quietly, kissing the top of her head. "cami, he deserved that. you know he did. and now we can hold him responsible. you can be righted. we can go to court, and—"

"no!" cami cried out, clinging to his shirt and looking up at him with desperate, pleading eyes. her emphasis surprised both drew and her. "drew, please. i can't go to court. i can't... sit there and just talk about it like it's a medical condition." she looked behind them at the man, who was just beginning to stir. "i'm not strong enough, i'm sorry."

drew didn't understand. but he respected her decision, and so he nodded curtly, pressing one more kiss to her forehead. then he released her, walking over to the man. he bent down so he could say something to the man quietly, something that cami would never hear or know.