Shadows from the Depths

They often say that night brings advice, but so far night actually has brought me only many problems. Only one good thing that night did: it allowed me to understand how to make my Gift work.

But only that one thing, mind you.

As I told you, we were trying to sleep on that huge branch, hugging each other so as not to fall off, but we didn't sleep much, mainly because of the howling of the wolves that could be heard in the distance and the crows that for some absurd reason had decided to organise a cacophonous concert in the middle of the night.

I was profoundly grateful, however, for the warmth Nate emanated, because it was damn cold in that clearing. At the very least we were in the middle of winter even in this world.

It was because of all this, however, that I was able to see what was happening in the clearing.

The shadows, always those damn shadows, had returned and were gathering right in our clearing. But couldn't they go somewhere else? The world's so big, and they always manage to find right where I am. «I can't believe that, even here they have to follow me?» I thought. «Nate, we have company» I whispered in his ear. He seemed to understand immediately and raised his back as he too watched the scene unfold before us. That was the first time I could distinctly see those who were casting those shadows: they were all rather tall individuals, wearing a long dark cloak with a hood covering their faces. Everyone was carrying a torch that strangely produced an anomalous violet flame, as if it was burning a strange chemical substance, whose composition I wasn't sure I wanted to know. We saw them arrange themselves in a circle and plant their torches on the ground, as if they were preparing a ritual. They began to chant altogether: we could not quite understand the words because of the distance, but those few words that reached our ears were anything but encouraging: «Resurgi ab alto, Domine Fati» or something like that. As they spoke these words, the purple flames of the torches exploded with renewed ardour and began to spiral around the members of the sect, for yes, I was now convinced it was indeed a sect. As soon as they stopped chanting, an incredible tremor went through the earth, and the torches went out suddenly.

The shock did not seem to have any major consequences, except that what appeared to be a statue emerged from the ground right in the middle of the circle formed by the ritualists. Just looking at the statue instilled revulsion and fear in the depths of one's soul: it depicted a deformed creature, which from that distance seemed to have ten eyes, three of which were still closed, and in whose mouth burned a fire the same colour as the torches that had just gone out.

What was most horrifying and repulsive about that statue, however, was not so much its appearance, but everything it carried with it: from the statue sprouted what appeared to be huge blades that at first glance were anything but decorative. When I noticed a small detail, which normally I would have hoped not to notice, I feared I would faint there on the spot: the statue was completely covered in blood.

«Nate» I asked in a whisper. «What is that? Who are these people?» He looked even more traumatised than I was by the scene: «I... I have no idea. They don't look very friendly. W-we don't want to go down there and disturb them, do we?» he said stammering, it was the first time I had seen him like that. As we watched and pondered without getting any response, the group of shadows began to move: an empty space opened up in the group as if to form a corridor for an individual with his back to us.

Suddenly this individual, who appeared to be the celebrant of the ritual, raised an arm until it was perpendicular to the ground and then suddenly lowered it: the air in front of him broke, and out of the crack fell a boy, blindfolded and with his hands tied behind his back. «Such a thing should not be possible» I heard Nate mutter to himself. «The only ones who can influence the environment with their Gifts should be the Twins. Not the Twins and some random guy in a clearing».

The celebrant picked him up and dragged him in front of the statue, while the boy tried in vain to wriggle out of his tormentor's grasp. Saying these few words: «Mors incipit vitam novam», the celebrant pushed him against the statue. The flames in the statue's mouth intensified, and with a gruesome sound the blades began to lengthen and curve. The blindfolded boy was enveloped in flames, began to scream and writhe, but his screams were drowned out by the new chanting of the sect, which had begun a wild dance around the hideous statue. The now fully extended blades threw themselves on the boy, wreaking havoc on his body. The boy now no longer screamed, his body lying inert and covered in burns, pierced by the blades of the statue now bathed in fresh blood. As soon as they realised the boy was dead, those murderers threw themselves upon what was left of him, starting to tear whatever they could grab from his broken body. As this brutal scene went on, the statue opened its eighth eye: the earth began to shake again, dark cracks began to appear in the sky.

As the earth shook something happened that should never have happened: I was clutching one of the apples we had picked in the afternoon, and that same apple had just slipped out of my hand, falling to the ground. In the absolute silence of the night the thud of the apple falling to the ground seemed deafening.

As it fell, those horrible beings simultaneously turned in our direction, searching with their eyes for the cause of that fall.

«Don't worry Ellie, they can't see us. I have modified the air in front of us so that it absorbs all the light coming from their direction. As long as we're careful we're safe» Nate told me softly, trying not to worry me.

They might not have seen us, but I could feel their eyes on us: I could see their red eyes shining in the night, and I could see the blood dripping from their faces as they devoured what was left of the poor boy. We watched helplessly at the carnage, stood there, unable even to look away from the scene, until there was nothing left of the boy and the sect dispersed into the woods.

Something inside me broke: my eyes filled with tears and I started sobbing.

«Ellie what's wrong?»  Nate asked me softly. «You are not to blame for what happened to that boy, you hear me?». I understood that he was trying to reassure me, but at that moment I could not convince myself of his words. «No Nate, it's my fault» I said through tears. «If only I could have done something, maybe that boy would still be alive. I am just useless: even before, if you hadn't been there I would probably be dead now too. I would like to do more for you, for everyone, I would like everything to go right, but I can't, I can't».

He held me tighter in his arms: «Ellie you are not useless, don't even try to convince yourself of something like that. You don't have to feel bad thinking about things that didn't happen. I would never leave you alone, trust me, especially knowing that you might need me. I am sure you will be able to help the world, me and everyone more than the rest of us ever could. So now rest assured, it's all gone. Try to remember the times when you were happiest and you'll see that you'll be better soon». I turned up my nose one last time. «I envy you Nate, how do you always stay so optimistic? How do you always keep that damn smile on your face even when everything goes wrong?».

He smiled at me (how ironic) and clasped my hands in his: «I always remember to approach things with a smile, it helps me keep my emotions in check and stay strong. I always thought that while helping someone, doing it with a smile is the best thing, no matter what situation you are in. Sometimes when you see someone feeling bad all it takes is a smile, a hug, holding hands: it is often the simplest things that are the most beautiful for someone. So keep my words in mind Ellie: you are perfect the way you are, but always remember to smile». I nodded softly, then rested my head on his chest. My mind began to wander through memories of a happier time: Nate and I skating hand in hand in Andúnë, the two of us sleeping together in my house and other sweet memories.

Remembering these happy times brought a tear to my eye, this time of happiness, and made me smile.

«Um, Ellie? What are those things going around your arms?» I opened my eyes in confusion and saw what she was talking about: a series of concentric rings composed of tiny purple particles were floating around my arms. «At last» I said, sniffling.

My Gift had finally decided to cooperate.