Spoiler Alert: I was wrong

Yes, you heard it right. Apparently our goliardic contest had managed to annoy the sacred Pine Spirit, who was evidently not in a good mood that day as he thundered: «Who is it that dares interrupt the sleep of Sebas, the Great Hermit?».

Well, if nothing else, it was not the Spirit of the Pine.

«Excuse us, O Great Sebas! We didn't know there was anyone living around here. We simply followed a rainbow so, for fun» I replied in what was meant to be an apologetic tone.

«A rainbow you say? That's a good one. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone justify their racket with a rainbow. But wait, I'll come over there and fix you up» said the Hermit in what sounded like the voice of an old geezer annoyed by his grandchildren's pranks.

So it was that after a few minutes of waiting we saw a funny gentleman appear before us, at a very slow pace, wearing a simple grey tunic. Probably the colour of the tunic was a detail that kicked in later: first you noticed the fact that he was using an old sword as a walking stick, then the huge handlebar moustache he had on his face.

And indeed: «Nice moustache» Nate commented. «That's really something bizar... er extraordinary».

At this statement we saw the old man crack a smile: «Uh oh, I see the new generation hasn't lost its sense of humour. Well well. What brings two brats like you to these parts so far from civilisation?».

Nate and I exchanged a brief glance. In all likelihood the nice man had no bad intentions, and so at first glance he didn't seem connected to the insane cannibal sect of some time ago, but instinctively we decided it wasn't a good idea to reveal our identity right away, so we opted for a half-truth.

«The truth is that they basically made it clear in the city that they didn't want us» I said. «So we came here to the woods to test our survival skills. Do you have any advice for us, O wise Hermit?»

«Uh oh. Advice to give, you say. I'll do better than that.

I will teach you everything I know and I'll even host you in my house, but in return you must land a single blow on me with one of these» he said, pointing with his chin at his "staff". «Of course we will use wooden swords, I don't want to have the dead body of two young boys in front of my doorstep every time I go out. What do you say?».

I looked at Nate and he shrugged. So much for support.

Undoubtedly the old man was testing us to see if we were worthy of his time, and surely to offer us such a test he must have known his way around a sword.

But still, his was a tempting proposition, so sword prodigy or not, it wouldn't do us any harm to try.

We then decided to accept and Sebas went back inside the house to fetch the training swords. 

«Two minutes and I'll be back» he said. Sure enough, two minutes he took.

As we waited for him to return, Nate and I began to confabulate: «Do you think he's that good?» he asked with what could have been a vein of concern. «Well, he's certainly not a newbie» I replied. «Otherwise what would be the point of offering us such a test, do you think? The only thing that disturbs me is that he didn't say anything about the use of the Gifts, it's possible he assumes that we don't possess any Gifts that could tip the fight in our favour. Or he's just very good. But for now let's stick with the first option».

So we spent the next five minutes planning a good plan with which to hold the reins of the encounter and only at the end of the five minutes did Sebas have the decency to return. 

He was so damn slow.

«Well are you half-breeds ready? Have you made your plans? We'll see if they'll do you any good» he said, handing us the wooden swords. «Come boy, let's start with you» he exclaimed. «When your girlfriend gives the go-ahead we will begin the fight».

«But she's not my girlfriend» and «I'm not her girlfriend» we said almost simultaneously, blushing slightly.

«Oh no? I must have seen it wrong excuse me. Old age will start playing tricks on me oh oh. But let's cut the nonsense, let's start. Girl, you're on». I positioned myself exactly halfway between them, raising one arm. I counted to three and then quickly lowered it: «Go!» I shouted.

Not even time to finish that the two had already jumped each other and crossed blades.

The old man had screwed us. And badly.

If you didn't watch your step, he'd cut you up with a wooden sword. «He's so fast» I thought, «but I doubt he'll be able to do anything against Nate's Gift».

In fact, I noticed something change in Nate's gaze, and that something suggested that he had already started putting his Gift to work: his blows were becoming faster and faster and more precise, his sword seemed to take absurd trajectories that somehow always managed to find their target.

Yet, every single time, Sebas did nothing more than shrug off Nate's attacks, deflecting the sword that descended towards him with a grace and elegance that I did not believe was possible.

«Well» said the old man. «Did you enjoy yourself? Now if you'll allow me, it's my turn to answer».

We were not looking at a fencing genius.

We were looking at a real monster.

I saw his eyes light up as he returned Nate's blows blow by blow, but at such a high speed that I could hardly follow them with my eyes.

Even Nate had begun to buckle under the old man's barrage of blows, so much so that he had reached a point where he could only retreat in the face of such violent assaults.

But Nate got smart. Instead of ducking and retreating from all incoming attacks, he alternated between a dodge and a parry every now and then, making Sebas believe that it was normal to be able to hit him with a sword. And so the poor old man was totally taken aback when he saw that his sword, which was coming down on Nate's uncovered spot, was getting closer and closer and closer... but without ever touching him.

«What the-» an expression of surprise escaped him, and Nate took advantage of this brief moment of confusion to deliver a swift blow to the base of his opponent's sword, disarming him. «Well, it looks like we have a winner» said the old man cheerfully, calmly stooping to pick up his sword. It seemed he was not pissed at all.

«I suppose it is your turn now, young lady» he said, turning to me. I then took my sword and moved a couple of steps away from Sebas. My plan was simple: take as few blows as possible and use every slightest opportunity to try to hit him. Unfortunately, my Gift was slightly more scenic than Nate's, so I would have to be careful in using it. «Go!» Nate suddenly shouted. «No wait, I'm not rea-AAH» I tried to shout, but I didn't have time to finish the sentence that Sebas had already pounced on me, evidently trying to vent his frustration at the recent defeat, because his blows seemed much more violent than before. «Easy! I said easy!» I blurted out, avoiding a slash to my arm. I had to see that my plan had already failed, and not even a minute had passed since the start of the fight.

The man had no openings. He was a perfect fighting machine. 

So there was only one thing left to do.

Cheat. I mean no, I meant create an opportunity. Ahem.

Slowly, trying not to be noticed, I used my Gift to extend my sword about a millimeter per second, and so after a minute I had my chance.

I parried an attack by Sebas with particular force, trying to make him take as much time as possible to regain his position, and took the opportunity to throw myself into an almost desperate lunge. Evidently Sebas hadn't noticed that my sword had extended and so he completely screwed his reaction to dodge my lunge, which ended lamely on his chest with a poor BOP.

«That counts right?» I asked still harried. «Oh oh oh of course it counts» said Sebas laughing. «I'd say you guys won today. What are your names?»

«Ellie» I said, «Nate» he echoed.

«Well Ellie and Nate. The pleasure is all mine. Let me show you the way home».