The Feast of Two Fools

This part of my story I think is too good to omit, but if you really want to, you can skip straight to the next chapter, you won't miss anything essential.

Be aware, however, that you are missing a very funny part.

They're gone? Great.

You guys who stayed are the best, my word.

But back to facts: last time we had Nate doing who knows what, but he was certainly having a lot of fun, and me popping up random things to protect myself.

Well, you should know that it would escalate quickly.

Really quickly indeed.

As I was telling you a few minutes ago, Nate and I had decided to have a temporary abode in our beautiful clearing, which now had a beautiful grave right in the middle of it.

Thanks man, you spoiled the idyllic atmosphere just a little.

Our routine was pretty simple: wake up, train, eat, train, eat, sleep.

Straight and forward, don't you think? But of course after the first week it had already become rather monotonous as a routine, it's not like it was that much fun to wake up and do random things for the rest of the day, and for the rest of your days too.

We then took an irrevocable decision, where irrevocable is just a funny expression to introduce the problem, to try to remedy our ennui that would have otherwise really destroyed us.

Every two days we decided to have a variable theme day, in which we either did very special workouts or we did activities that really had little or nothing to do with training, but which at least allowed us to relax and chill out a bit.

Sunday, for example, was the day for outings. Why Sunday, you ask? Have you ever had outings that were not on Sundays?

No, because I never have, and that makes it for me.

The other days, however, as I was telling you, had no fixed activity, but we basically did the strangest thing we could think of. For example, one Friday, at least I think it was a Friday (forgive me, but it's slightly difficult to keep track of days when you're kind of lost in the woods), we decided to do a training session focusing on hand to hand combat.

Now, in your opinion, how did it turn out?

I'll give you a hint. The training session:

a) Remained a normal martial arts class;

b) Degenerated into us laughing like fools as we threw lightning bolts at each other with our Gifts;

c) Tired us out after twenty seconds and we went to sleep.

Did you answer b)?

Bravo, I see you have begun to understand what Nate and I are like.

At first we tried to maintain a minimum of seriousness by confronting each other to the best of our abilities, trying not to kill each other, but at a certain point that dumb idiot steps back a few meters and shouts something like: «Meteor of Pegasus!» while from his fingers many small lightning bolts shoot out very quickly towards me, who was already dying of laughter.

Since I was not particularly keen on being electrocuted, I had to fight back. You know how I used to say that having a great imagination has its merits? That's it. Although I was dying of laughter anyway, I was sufficiently concentrated to use my Gift well enough: I exhaled deeply, expelling all the air in my lungs.

An instant later my breath had already condensed: the air temperature had dropped dramatically as I raised a wall of ice in front of me that absorbed the blow perfectly. «Oh God, my ice seems to be too much for your little sparks, isn't it?» I said laughing. «Now it's my turn to leave you a little surprise».