Memories from the Past

I can't quite tell you how long I slept, but when I woke up the sun was setting.

«The princess has awoken» I heard a familiar voice say. When I opened my eyes I saw Sebas watching me sitting on a boulder as he absent-mindedly cleaned his sword. Suddenly I remembered what had been happening before I fainted: Nate injured, the dragon, Sebas dancing, and a whole host of information spilling into my brain like a flooding river.

«Sebas! Nate, the dragon, the sword, you dancing, me...» I started to say babbling. «Relax, Ellie» he interrupted me in a quiet voice. «With the dragon and the boy it's all sorted out» he continued, pointing at the huge corpse behind him, which was now covered in a myriad of cuts. I turned around looking for Nate, until I saw him sleeping blissfully on the ground behind me. I breathed a sigh of relief.

«Before I lost consciousness I had the impression that you were... dancing? Was it all real or was I imagining it?» I asked, trying to separate the reality of the facts from my imagination. «It's all true child» Sebas replied laughing. «But I'm afraid we'll need to talk a bit more about it. Come on now, get up. Help me carry the sleeping beauty home». Very calmly I got up and approached Nate. I prodded him a little with my foot, but the boy really didn't want to wake up. I sighed and so Sebas and I picked him up and started walking home.

We left Nate sleeping in his room, while Sebas and I headed straight for the kitchen. I would say I had earned the right to be hungry, and to have some answers. Having prepared our dinner, we went down to Sebas's study so that, in case our conversation got particularly heated (spoiler: it had already happened several times), Nate could continue sleeping safe and sound.

Then don't say I don't think about others.

We finished our dinner in silence, probably thinking about how to break the ice.

«So...» we said simultaneously.

We both laughed, finally breaking the ice.

«Please Sebas, after you,» I said, finishing laughing.

«Many thanks» he began. «Where to start? It's a long story, but I suppose time is the one thing we don't lack.

Once upon a time, when I was still an impertinent young man travelling the world in search of worthy opponents, I came across a very peculiar duo: they were two guys, more or less my age, who, like me, travelled the world.

So, probably attracted by this side of us in common, I approached them and started talking to them.

At first they seemed rather wary, as if they thought I was trying to trick them or lead them into a trap, but then, as I told them about my travels, they seemed to realise that I had no bad intentions.

And so we began to exchange tales of our adventures and our history. I must say that they too had been through a lot, but never as much as me.

We also began wandering the world together, making discoveries and performing deeds destined to remain legends, such as the 'Taking of the Sacred Fort', probably our most epic adventures. Thus, from what seemed like a chance encounter, a strong and close friendship was born, which bound us together for many years to come. One day, however, the two of them decided that the time had come to part our ways, hinting that they had to go to a place where I could not follow them. At first I protested because it sounded like an absurd and cheap excuse, but then, little by little, the two of them managed to change my mind and convinced me to accept their decision.

Before parting our ways, however, I proposed challenging each other to a friendly duel, making full use of our skills. It may seem unbelievable to you, but I couldn't have defeated them separately, let alone together. Maybe now I might have a chance, who knows?