... and the Dragon

It was huge, majestic, had a magnificent bearing and, had I not been terrified, I would probably have remained in contemplation for a long time. It was covered in black scales with the occasional few reflecting the light. Only one paw was as big as me.

This was just to give you an idea of who we were looking at.

«Hello Mr. dragon, what brings you here?» exclaimed Sebas blithely.

The dragon, evidently not in the mood for small talk, roared, completely ignoring Sebas' question.

«What a shame» said the latter. «It looks like we'll have to fight. It's been a while since I've dealt with such a big dragon. Let's see if I still remember how you do it.

You guys have fun with the Acolytes who still want to fight: if you proceed as you did before, you won't have any problems».

Nate and I looked at each other, exchanging a nod of understanding, and started to approach the Acolytes so we could keep an eye on them.

But evidently the dragon had other plans.

Completely ignoring Sebas, who was the most obvious threat, the dragon came straight at us, while the Acolytes surrounded Sebas, keeping him busy.

«That wasn't the deal!» I complained to the dragon.

Of course, I received no reply.

Fortunately Nate seemed to be less shocked than I by the unexpected change. «I defend, you attack» he communicated to me telegraphically.

Praise be to the training in the clearing.

The dragon tried to take a bite that would have sliced me in half, but fortunately Nate deflected the attack with all the strength he had in his body. CRACK. Nate's sword had already begun to crack with the first blow. «The dragon must really have hard scales, I wonder if my sword will be able to pierce through them» I wondered, doubting I had the strength to do so.

«Go Ellie!» urged Nate, who in the meantime had run up behind me to defend me from further attacks.

Before I could get close enough to the dragon Nate had to deflect two more claws and a bite with his sword, which continued to remain intact against all odds.

Kudos to the blacksmith.

I tried to attack the dragon with the technique that required the most physical strength: Phantom Moon. Arriving in front of the dragon I jumped, performing a somersault in mid-air to add the force of spin to the blow. My sword struck the target, producing a resounding CLANG that did not bode well.

However, I noted with satisfaction that I had managed to penetrate the dragon's hard armor of scales. With another hundred tries, maybe I would have managed to inflict a wound deep enough to put him on the run.

But I strongly doubted that the dragon would allow me to try.

Then, unlike the dragon, Nate and I were beginning to run out of steam. Fighting all these enemies in such close quarters had greatly eroded our stamina. We would have lasted about ten minutes at most.

«Ready for another round?» I asked Nate panting. «I can do this all day» he stated recklessly.

What a braggart. Let me correct that: seven minutes.

We went on the attack. In the meantime the dragon, who had not expected to be wounded, had backed up ten meters away and was licking his wounds. As he saw us coming, his gaze was filled with hatred, so much so that I thought I would faint from the intensity of his emotions.