Ch.2

Son and mother sat on chairs near a table, where fresh tea was placed, embroidering. Well, at least one of them, the young master couldn't figure it out.

"Mǔqīn, even though I'm going to be a consort I'm still a man. I don't need to know needlework."

Yaozu knows his mother only wants the best for him, but he also knows from the past that the emperor didn't like when he was 'acting like a woman'.

So, he would prefer to not give the emperor any reason to dislike him and live peacefully in the palace.

"Mǔqīn knows, but perhaps his majesty would be touched to receive some clothes embroidered by you."

Yaozu looked at his mother with a bored expression.

"I'm sure his majesty will have many clothes embroidered by the other concubines."

Madam Xiao was confused by her son's actions. Her son was so madly in love that he was bedridden at some point.

How come Zu'er wasn't excited to marry the emperor? Did he realize how dangerous the palace is..?

.....It is too late to cancel the marriage, but...-

"Zu'er, you don't seem as happy to enter the palace, did something happen?"

-...Perhaps, there might be something that can be done.

Yaozu looked at his mother hesitantly, he didn't know whether he should tell the truth or not.

Would she be at ease if she knew he wasn't in love anymore..?

"If Zu'er changed his mind...We can discuss with your fùqīn and find a solution."

Yaozu's bright black eyes met the ones of Madam Xiao.

The warm smile on his mother's face gave him hope, hope to live a happy life outside of that hell place.

"Thank you, Mǔqīn.."

Perhaps his hug was awkward, but could he be blamed? He wasn't this affectionate with his mother since he was a child.

Of course, it's something normal for higher ranks people...It still was..quite unbearable.

This is the reason he became indifferent, he wasn't too familiar with this kind of human interaction.

..He started to crave it so badly when he was alone in the abandoned palace...

.....He was afraid to die alone...

Yaozu was brought back to reality by Madam Xiao, who had kissed her son's forehead gently.

Yaozu smiled, happy to be held by his mother.
Yes, maybe he was a big child, after all.

********
"Feng'er, what's...his majesty's opinion on this marriage?"

Minister Xiao was quite surprised by his wife's words. She usually avoids the subject, pretending it isn't happening.

Minister Xiao took a glance at his son, quite reluctant

"Well...His majesty is pleased."

Truth be told, he doesn't know either. The emperor was hard to read, but it seemed he didn't hate it.

"Fùqīn, is there no way..to cancel it?"

Minister Xiao's eyes widened after hearing his son's statement.

"There are just two more days, it can't be canceled now...However, I thought you were happy about it, what made you change your mind?"

Xingfeng feels that he failed his son...How could he not notice his son's change..?