Ch.6

"Was it confirmed?", a soft voice questioned with indifference.

"Yes, your highness.His majesty is indeed allowing commoners to participate in the maiden selection."
The maid dressed in yellow answered with a calm expression, even though deep down she was extremely worried for her master.

"...His majesty is allowing commoners? Is there a limit for them?"
The male consort was looking ahead as he was drinking his tea, in a daze.

"No, there's no limit. However,not many can enter the palace, after all."
The dowry maid answered her master diligently.

She wasn't being a hypocrite by condemning commoners, her people,but she was worried that there would be too many ladies entering the harem.
Consort Xiao on the other hand was worried that the commoners would be as power-hungry as the other concubines.

"...They can't afford decent clothes? How can that be?", the consort put the cup of tea down and let his finger slowly tap his fingers on the table beside him before continuing, "The country is prosperous, naturally all the people should live decently at least..."

Seeing the sadness on her master's face Meihui felt delighted to see that the noble person she serves cares about lower people. People like her.
"Commoners always had it hard and not too many are lucky to live a decent life."

Consort Xiao locked eyes with Meihui for a while, letting the two brown colors meet before extending his arm for his maid's hold.
"I need to write a letter to Fùqīn.."

Meihui guided her master to the table where brushes, paint, and rice paper were placed meticulously.
Consort Xiao took his seat in front of the table and grabbed some paper and put it in place before getting the brush and dipping it in the fresh ink made by his maid.

After finishing the letter, Meihui had an eunuch deliver it to Xiao's household.
Yaozu looked at his dowry maid intently, lost in thoughts before going back to his comfortable seat.

"..There's still no Gugu in my palace, I would like for you to have the honor."
Yaozu took his seat gracefully before the maid bowed before him, to show her gratitude.

"Thank you, your Highness, for your grace."
Meihui didn't expect a talk about poor fated people like her would grant her a higher rank.

She was very happy, however, as a higher rank meant a higher salary. Meaning she and her family can live decently now.

"There's no need to bow, it was a given as you are my dowry maid. You may rise."
Consort Xiao smiled gently at the young girl before him. He couldn't understand how he could be so blind.

"Your Highness, Eunuch Bai is here to inform you of the maiden selection."
As Meihui stood up from the ground their meaningful moment was interrupted by a eunuch's presence.

"Let him in."
Consort Xiao replied in a soft voice, curious about the new information he will receive.
Soon a young servant entered the chambers slowly.

"Greetings your Highness Consort Xiao."
The young eunuch respectfully bowed before the male consort.

"You may rise"
Yaozu started analyzing the person before him carefully.
He looked quite young, no older than 25. He also had a relaxed expression on his face.

"Your Highness, I'm here to inform you that his majesty requests your presence at the maiden selection."
The eunuch spoke in a gentle voice, to not upset the consort before him.

"..Why is my presence needed? Isn't her highness the royal consort attending the maiden selection?"
Consort Xiao wasn't confused at all. He thought about the fact that, if the Royal consort isn't present at the maiden selection he would have to attend.
He has the highest rank in the harem beside royal consort Hui, after all.