Ch.3

(Royal consort Hui above)

A young maid entered the royal chambers with a tray with a bowl of water and a towel, for the new consort to wash.

"Your Highness, are you awake?"
The maid dressed in yellow uniform, questioned after seeing her master rising from bed.

"Yes, I'm awake.Bring me the water, to wash my face."
The new consort answered with a weak, gentle voice.

The maid did what she was told and took the tray after her master was done washing.

"Oh, I almost forgot. There's a beautiful lotus pond just a few meters away from here, does your highness wish to take a look after the morning meeting?"

Consort Xiao thought for a second before answering his dowry maid.

"Hm, It would make time pass faster."
Yaozu answered in a gentle but firm voice.

Then, Meihui began to help her master get ready to give his greeting to the empress dowager.

When it came to makeup, Yaozu refused to put anything on his face but his dowry maid didn't let him without a little lip tint.

"Your Highness, you should wear at least lip tint. Even if you are a man, you're still the emperor's consort."

Consort Xiao gave in after Meihui didn't seem to leave him be, and went to the empress dowager's palace.

*****
The Palace of Accumulated Purity is far away from the Palace of Eternal Harmony and it took around 30 minutes to reach.

"Your Highness, we've arrived."
The young maid announced with a calm expression.

Yaozu got out of the carriage and walked towards the empress dowager's hall.
When the two maids that were guarding the hall saw the new consort come, they immediately announced the empress dowager.

"His Highness, consort Xiao has arrived."

After a while, a calm voice responded shortly.

"Let him enter."

Yaozu entered the hall gracefully and went before the empress dowager.

"May the empress dowager live a thousand years and one thousand more."
Consort Xiao knelt before his mother-in-law with his head held low.

The imperial mother analyzed him thoughtfully before letting him stand.

"You may rise."

Yaozu rose from the ground and stood on his feet before the empress dowager with his head still held low.

"Thank you, your highness."

The empress dowager discussed with her son about the new consort.
She wasn't too pleased with her son having a male consort, because he can't help expand the royal family. But her son wanted an aide, so she gave in.

But from what her son told her, it look like the prime minister wanted his son to have the empress title.
That's quite a stupid thing because an empress is nothing without an heir.

But..This young man in front of her, didn't look ambitious at all...
Quite the opposite, he seemed bored..Or like he doesn't want anything to do with anyone, more precisely.

Her son mentioned that it might be a misunderstanding..but it's better safe than sorry, right?

"Then, you're prime minister's son, Xiao Yaozu?"
The empress dowager smiled at the consort in front of her.

"Yes, your highness."
Yaozu bowed slightly before the empress dowager.

"Hm, I heard you were bedridden a few months ago. I hope you are back in your health now."
The empress dowager smiled as she analyzed the male consort.

"I'm in good health now, please forgive this son-in-law for making your Highness worry."
Yaozu blushed slightly, embarrassed that probably all the royal family knows of his
'sickness'.

"How can I not worry? You're my son-in-law, after all, and I should help you accommodate in the palace."
The empress dowager smiled gently at consort Xiao before the smile left her face.

"Now...Speaking of accommodation in the palace...I assume consort Xiao knows the rules, isn't that right?"
The empress dowager looked intensely at her son-in-law before smiling once again.

"Yes, your majesty.I know the palace rules thoroughly."
Yaozu smiled softly at his mother-in-law.

"Very well, would consort Xiao like to have tea with this royal mother?"
The empress dowager gestured towards a chair close to her.

"This son-in-law would be happy to spend time with Your Highness."
Yaozu bowed and smiled gently at the empress dowager.

********
After a little unpleasant chat with the royal mother Yaozu had to take the carriage to get to the palace of Celestial Favour for the harem meeting, which took only 10 minutes to reach.

"Greetings your Highness, the Royal Consort."
Yaozu knelt on the ground greeting the person in charge of the harem.

"You may rise and take your seat."
The royal consort smiled gently at the new consort and gestured towards their assigned seat.

As Yaozu took his seat a voice started addressing him.

"Your Highness is very beautiful, no wonder his majesty wanted to marry Your Highness."
A concubine smiled wide and looked at Yaozu intently.

"Well, isn't it the same for most of the concubines of the harem? The emperors are fascinated by beauty, aren't they?
Yaozu smiled sweetly at Noble Lady Juan before the royal consort scolded both of them.

"Noble lady Juan, you should mind your words, Consort Xiao shouldn't be speaking such criticism words about sons of heaven either."

"Yes, your highness."
Both of the concubines bowed their heads slightly.

"Sister shouldn't be so bitter towards consort Xiao after just meeting his highness. We all are concubines of the harem and we shall get along."
Concubine Ling intervened smiling gently at both of them.

"I agree with Concubine Ling. After all,we have the same position in the palace and..share the same husband."
Beauty Yan smiled sweetly at concubine Ling and noble lady Juan.

"Yes, that is right Beauty Yan."
Royal consort Hui smiled exasperatedly at the young royal lady before turning her attention to consort Xiao.

"I hope that consort Xiao didn't have a hard time accommodating the palace and liked the palace assigned to him."
The royal consort smiled softly at the new consort.

Royal consort Hui was a princess of the Yun Kingdom, therefore she lived in the palace and was familiar with the harem, but she never saw a male enter the inner court as a consort.

Sure, she have heard of some male lovers, but they never officially entered the harem.
She was quite curious how would it go, knowing Xiao Yaozu was the one who demanded the marriage.

Royal consort Hui believes the emperor feels something for consort Xiao. Why would he accept this marriage if not?

"Yes, I have been accommodated in the palace and the palace of eternal harmony is very peaceful and welcoming."
Yaozu smiled gently at the royal consort.

"..I'm glad to hear that."
The royal consort smiled at the new consort while analyzing him quietly.