042

Two days after I got taken, I lay in a small bed. They assigned me a room. The walls were grey, the sheets of the bed dark blue, and a brown nightstand next to it. I hadn't done much these days, not that I even had the chance. All I tried to do was not to think about my now-dead family, and it was working, since I had something else going on in my mind.

Lena, Lena, Lena. My name is Lena. That's what I kept repeating in my head. Because I knew they were trying to take two things away from me; my memories, and my name. I doubted it was possible to take my memories, but the last days they kept convincing me my name was Lenora, and not Lena.

My door buzzed, then popped open. A man appeared, dressed in a green one-piece suit that looked like pajamas for grown-ups. I wanted to tell him he looked ridiculous, but based on the arguments I had been through with these people, I decided to keep my opinion to myself and close my eyes.

"Lenora, come with me." He ordered.

I stayed completely still, not daring to move or even open my eyes. I wouldn't obey to that name.

"Lenora, get up. We do not have time for games here. You're lucky we saved you from a dangerous world." He added sternly.

I held my breath the whole time, pretending to be asleep, until I didn't have any air left. I gasped for it and eventually had no choice but to open my eyes again.

"You look ridiculous." I blurted out anyways.

He stared at me, eyes full of disgust. "Excuse me?"

"You look ridiculous," I repeated. "And you did not save me. I had a happy life until you killed both of my parents. I won't obey to the name Lenora. My name is Lena!"

He then laughed, seeming more amused than bothered. "They told me you are a polite kid. Guess I'm not seeing it."

"That was before they told me I had to change my name," I replied. "The one my mom and dad gave me. The ones you took from me."

"Would that be the ones that always taught you to be nice? To never contradict?"

I clenched my jaw, not replying anymore. The stupid man.

"Look, you're just a kid. You don't understand the world or how dangerous your parents could become. You, in fact, are immune to the Flare. You're valuable." He paused. "You will have to accept your loss on certain things and go on by helping us. If we don't find a cure soon, humans are over. So here's what going to happen, Lenora. You're going to get off that bed. Follow me out this door. And I'm not going to tell you again."

So at some point, I got up and followed the man.

~

We walked through the white hallways. Doors were everywhere, along with windows to look into other rooms, mostly operation rooms.

"What's your name?" I wondered quietly. No matter if the man was mean or not, I wanted to know at least one person.

"Randall Spilker." He said as we got in an elevator. I nodded quickly and followed Randall through the building. At some point, he sat me down on a weird chair. Wireless sensors were attached to my temples, elbows, and chest. He had a console in his hands.

"I'm sorry, Lenora." He spoke and leaned in. "It would've been nicer to give you more time to accept your new name, but we're losing it. We need to handle it quickly. Don't move."

Before I could ask anything, I felt a sharp pain in my neck. I yelped as Randall let go of me again.

Panic filled my chest. "What was that?"