Chapter 2 : For Your Protection

It has been a few days since Howard's unpleasant encounter with gang boss, Tobias Black. During those days of superficial peace, Howard worked hard to clean and tidy up the dusty abandoned cafe and did a little research on the local gang in the area. Now, he was busy hauling the broken appliances and furniture onto the curb for the recycling truck or garbage truck to collect, whichever one comes first. With that, the old building was finally cleaned up.

Finishing the initial cleanup, Howard cracked his knuckles ready to tackle his next big project, miscellaneous repairs around the building. Taking out the toolbox he purchased from the hardware store across the street, he turned off the building's electricity before begining to replace the faulty light bulbs with the help of his trusty ladder. Next he unscrewed some of the burnt sockets and put in new ones. When he eventually finished everything he could manage, Howard proceeded to light up the entire cafe and admire his work after a long day's work. As for some unfinished repairs, he had already called in some professionals for help.

The next day came in a blink of an eye, seeing that the kitchen was still unusable, Howard who was lazy decided to skip breakfast and go online. Browsing the online shopping site, Howard search for replacement kitchen appliances along with comfortable tables and chairs to fill the cafe. Now that most of the repairs were done, the only thing left was to decorate. But regrading that particular operation, Howard was a little blind, design and decoration was never his strong suit.

Then as if God heard he desperate plead for help, an angel with dyed purple hair and a sticker heavy duffle bag plus a small backpack. came in, ringing the bell above the door. Though surprised by the young man's arrival, Howard greeted his little brother a smile on his face and a quick pat on his head.

"Corry! What are you doing here? I thought you were coming tomorrow! What about uni?"

"Well, I couldn't wait to see you! But seriously Howey, out of all the places to open a cafe... why here?" the young man shrunk timidly.

"Cause I want to."

"Howey be serious, I saw a man with a bloody baseball bat come out of the convenient store like it was an ordinary Friday."

"Well... sure this place has its charm but not that big of a deal. It's not that dangerous. I've been here a week and I've only been held hostage once."

"Well okay you--" Corry almost missed the key point. "Held hostage! You can't seriously still want to stay!"

"Why not?" Howard really didn't see the issue.

Corry let out an exhausted sigh. "You're gonna give me a heart attack one day. Anyways, here's a care package from me to you!"

Corry gestured a heart to his older brother after stuffing his sticker heavy duffle bag into Howard's arms. Howard who was suddenly handed a heavy load almost fell. After steadying his step, the 24-year-old adult looked through the fully packed bag to see what his worry wort brother got him.

"My judo, jujutsu and taekwondo trophies?"

"To decorate your cafe so the people will know not to mess with you!"

"Why are you kung fu and karate trophies here too?"

"Just stick your name over mine and now you're a kung fu master!"

Taking the chance of his brother mentioning the decoration of the shop. Howard subtly hinted at the piles of work he would have to do in decorating the cafe. Corry who has always been eager to help immediately offered his. Pulling out his sketch book from his pack and sketched the cafe so he can bring it home to brainstorm designs.

"Pepper spray?" Howard continued to list the items he got from inside the duffle bag.

"For your protection!"