Chapter 33

Three years late

Three years late.

-*-

Millions of stars twinkled like diamonds in the arms of the sky, the silvery moon shone lonely showing off its equal charm. It was a rather enchanting, mystical, and serene time when nature came to its life. The haveli standing high, screaming rich and pride glowed under the lustrous, gleaming sky. Inside the manor, it looked unusually relaxed and tranquil although quiet noises were being heard from the further corner of the kitchen.

An alluring aroma of sweets floated from there and a woman in fatigue eyes was seen cooking, some strands of her hair kissed her chin, coming out of that untamed braid. A figure of a boy wearing a brown hoodie with black sweatpants was spotted leaning against the countertop. A pout played on his lips for the lack of her attention on him despite his eyes unwavering from her face.

Habiba placed the tray carrying Payesh back on the counter failing to move from the spot for the kid tightly clutching her waist. Her face wore concern when she looked down with furrowed brows and her hand rose to gently push the curls back from his forehead. That act gained his attention as he faced her and not giving any precautions he shocked her with sudden wobbled lips, and teary eyes.

That was out of nowhere and she felt worry masking her sense and she didn't delay to lift him with much strength. By then, his slow hiccups turned into quiet sobs, his little shoulder shaking, and tears trickled down his rosy cheek.

"What's wrong, honey?" Her softest of tones were heard when she gently caressed his face to wipe the tears. Her little one took a while to calm his sobs and blinked to disappear the tears before speaking out, "I don't like her, Mama." Exasperation was obvious in his tone. Her jaw dropped hearing his statement and fearing to worsen the matter she suppressed the urge to burst into laughter.

"We promised to never bring up this topic, remember." She expressed a sign of disapproval in her voice.

Crestfallen, the boy pouted sighing dramatically, acting all cute and that made her react with a chuckle. Squeezing his cheek, she crouched down to give a peck on his puffed cheek. Shortly after he screamed with laughter squirming to shield his stomach from the tickles coming from her.

His grumpy mood got washed away for the moment and like a lost puppy he began to follow her steps approaching the lounge clutching the end of her dupatta. Although he was supposed to have the dessert with his grandma in there, but a sudden change of his mood caused him to sprint towards the stairs heading towards his grandpa's study.

"Ibu, aren't you gonna eat?" A question flew from the couch where the woman in her sixties sat eyes fixed on her wrinkled hand that moved smoothly throughout the process of knitting a white muffler.

His fast steps didn't halt for a second at the question of his grandma instead he shouted a 'NO' in reply before bursting inside his grandpa's home office. He had way more important things to do, a deal to make actually.