Chapter 19

I woke up feeling tired, which I was not grateful for. I'd slept badly last night. I got ready as fast as I could taking into account my sleepiness. I thought about not going to class. Whatever, I thought. It's just one day.

I called Kaneko to explain it. My parents had already left so I could deal with them later.

"Heyo!" she answered the phone. "Why are you calling at this hour?"

"I'm not going to school today," I said.

"Huh? Why not? Are you sick?"

"Not really." I explained the memory card problem. "And please don't say I told you so."

"Oh, don't worry about that. I have a copy of the card," she said, like she was talking about the weather.

"WHAT?"

"I made a copy when I went to print your photos, because you were too stubborn to do it, but you should always keep a copy of your work," she explained.

"And why didn't you tell me?" I demanded.

"Must've slipped my mind," she simply said.

"I'm not even mad-"

"How could you? I just saved your butt."

"-but I love you so much right now," I said. "I promise I'll always keep copies after this."

"You'll give me coffee?"

"That's not what I sa- Fine, I'll bring you some."

"Thanks! If you want the card, you have to come to school, though," she said, and hung up.

It wasn't like she was giving me much choice. I grabbed my bag and went to school.

I kept thinking about it all the way to hell (I mean, school). I just couldn't understand how she could have done it. Our lockers were, well, locked.

Luckily, I had my first class with Kaneko so I could talk to her. As soon as I saw my friend, I asked her for the precious copy and gave her her coffee.

"Good morning to you, too," she rolled her eyes, but smiled as she took a sip from the warm drink and gave me the copy.

"I just know it was her," I said, angrily.

"Without a doubt," she confirmed. "How are you gonna prove it, though?"

"I don't know. Yet," I said.

The rest of the class went by slowly, but I couldn't think of anything to prove Yamada had stolen from me. When the bell rang, I was feeling down.

I entered the next class only to be surprised by something on my desk. It was a small bouquet of tiny daisies wrapped in paper. Inside, there was a note. I was very grateful for the teacher being late.

I carefully put the flowers in my bag and opened the note, but before I could read it, someone yelled in my ear, making me jump.

"Have you heard?" said an enthusiastic Ishida. Ah, I'd forgotten I had this class with him.

"Heard about what?" I said, half confused, half annoyed.

"Someone, a genius if you ask me, put a frog inside a girl's desk," he laughed. "It was hilarious, you should've seen her face! What was her name? Yahaba, Yamane...?"

I smiled. "Yamada?"

"Yes, that! Wait, you know her?"

"You could say that. And I also know who may be behind it."

"Who? I need to congratulate them or something," he said.

"You interrupted me, so now you have to wait," I said. He complained, but I ignored him.

The note was written in a beautiful handwriting I'd recognize everywhere.

Hello!

These daisies reminded me of you, since it's your favourite flower. I hope you can make another beautiful drawing with these.

Also, you probably heard about the frog and figured it out, but yes, it was me hehe. She deserved it and no one will believe it was me, so, you're welcome.

Yours,

Sugawara

"Oh my God, that is so cute!" said Ishida behind me. "That guy's a professional, I'm taking notes for my girlfriend."

"Were you reading my personal stuff?" I said, not very happy about it.

"I mean, you weren't hiding it or anything..."

Before I could say anything else, the teacher came and apologized for being late before starting the class.

However, I couldn't concentrate. I kept rereading the note. My cheeks were burning and it wasn't easy trying not to laugh at his boldness. I knew we were in a relationship and all, but still... Him thinking of me made me so happy. He remembered my favourite flower, which was totally unimportant.

And, best thing of all, he'd actually done the frog prank. I had to admire that. Oh, how I wished I could have seen her face!

The rest of the day went by faster than I expected. I was dying to see Suga, but I'd promised the girls I'd go to their practice and I never went back on my word.

"Hey! Y/n's here!" said Aoki, as soon as I entered the gym.

"Finally! Let's tell her!" this was Aihara.

"Yes, yes!"

"Huh? Tell me what?" I was completely clueless.

"We're going to the spring tournament!" said Yui, her eyes sparkling. "And we're determined to win!"

"Yes!" I almost jumped. "I'm so proud of you guys!"

"Hey, we owe it all to you," said Yui. "Even if we don't win, you've given us the motivation to try and that's the best thing you could've done for this team."

All around me, happy faces beamed at me. Wow, I'd never thought I mattered that much to them.

"Team hug!" said Watabe.

Suddenly, I had about ten girls hugging me. This team really was something else.

"Okay," I said, once we separated. "Now all you have to do is keep training hard. You got this!"

"Yes!!" they all said at once.

"Come on!" said Yui, "let's start with receives!"

I played with them, which was great, since it distracted me from Yamada and everything that had to do with her. Although, I had to laugh every time I imagined her stupid face trying to get rid of Suga's frog.

The girls's evolution was clear. The serves were deadlier, the tosses more accurate, the spikes were stronger and the receives practicality always got the ball back on the game.

I had no doubt they were going to win the tournament.

When I got home, I examined Kaneko's copy. I sighed with relief. The photos were exactly as the ones I'd taken. I had some time before dinner, so I quickly went to print them. The ones for my project and a couple of personal ones.

On my way back home, I pressed the envelope against my chest. I was not losing these. I checked them out one last time before falling asleep. I had a chance of winning and I was not going to waste it.

Kaneko saved the day and got a coffee in return. Pls vote and comment :D