Chapter 9

• chapter nine 

The one and only time I'd seen something close to snow was when I went to Rohtang Pass with my family. It had rained the night before that, so when I went there and picked up the snow excitedly, I discovered that it was like crushed ice instead of the soft, fluffy snow I expected.

But now, when I stepped out of the house I saw knee-deep layers of powdery snow covering my driveway. I hadn't got bored of it yet, though Liam assured me that the day would come soon. I picked up some, made a snowball and threw it at the tree in my garden. Then I locked my house and started walking.

My ritual was to throw random snowballs and then roll about in the snow for some time like an idiot (till I got embarrassed and stood up), but I couldn't do it today because I didn't want to enter Liam's house dripping wet, and I definitely didn't want to ruin the grey woolen dress, stockings and black coat that Ash had forced me to wear.

There were so many lights in the streets that you'd think it was daytime. The trees were covered with decorations and strings of yellow lights. The buildings sported yellow lights too, so that all of it gave out a lovely golden aura when the lights reflected off the pavement. There were wreaths on the doors. People walked about, wearing thick fur coats, smiling at anyone who happened to pass by. I heard Christmas carols and smelled fresh cakes and donuts. I took my time, walking around with wide eyes, looking at all I could. As I neared Liam's house, everything shifted from golden to blue. All along the West Pages Lane, the trees and buildings were draped in strings of blue lights. As a child, I had been fascinated by colors, and I had memorized the name of every shade of every color from an art book. I saw all those colours now: cobalt, periwinkle, zaffre, cerulean — all shades of blue. Outside his house too, there was a huge blue Christmas tree. The lights were on inside. People were chattering. I rang the bell.

Liam opened the door. He grinned at me. "Merry Christmas! You look pretty, as always." He kissed the back of my hand like a gentleman.

"Merry Christmas!" I said with a shy smile, a little surprised, and entered. It was yellow here again. A fire glowed in the fireplace. I greeted his dad, then Liam took me to the kitchen from where the smell of chocolate was coming. Ash was there, sporting a beige woolen dress, cooking something.

"Oh!" Liam said suddenly. "I didn't even take your coat. Where are my manners?" 

I laughed and took it off. "Why are you so polite today?"

"Always am."

"No, you're not," I said, still smiling. He walked away with my coat.

Ash hugged me. "What's up with you and him?"

"Nothing."

"I need help with the chicken salad."

Outside, I heard Liam's father say something like, "Go help in the kitchen," and Liam say something like, "Nooo." But a second later, I heard his voice coming from the doorway of the kitchen. "Girls? Do you need help? You don't? Alright, I'm going." He turned around and walked away.

"Oh yes, we do need help." Ash grabbed his collar and pulled him inside. "Go chop the lettuce."

"I don't know how to. I'm probably going to cut my own finger."

"Peel the potatoes."

"Boiled potatoes are too hot to hold."

"Chop the onions, then."

"They make my eyes tear up."

"Fuck off, then!" I looked over at her. A smile played at the corner of her lips.