Prologue

• prologue 

The darkness around her was comforting somehow. It made her feel as if she didn't exist. She couldn't feel anything, she didn't even know where she was. All she knew was that she was sinking into something warm... a liquid, that seemed to be coming out of her. It smelled like metal.

Blood?

She sank in the warm blood, and soon it changed to a freezing, dark lake, where it was silent and so cold that she was going numb, losing all feeling, losing everything.

Gentle hands lifted her, and then her back touched something soft. Instantly, she felt better. 

Somewhere far away, through the water, she heard the faint sound of sirens. And then, through this chaos, a familiar voice rang out, sharp and clear like a girl's: "No! Hazel!"

Hazel. Hmm. That was her name, right?

She swam to the surface, feeling a hand caressing her cheek and slowly travelling up to stroke her hair. She knew the touch. Someone was crying. "This is all my fault."

"She'll be okay," another voice said, but the person sounded unsure.

Then she had a weird sensation, like she was moving. The water around her was moving. She saw something swimming in the cold, dark lake. A picture, a memory. Before she could catch it, it drifted away. There were lots of them.

A sudden wave pushed her to the bottom and she stayed there, unable to move, paralyzed by the cold.