15 | A Close Watch

Luwen had underestimated the extent of the lord's words. When he meant he was going to watch over her, she didn't expect it to be this close of a scrutiny.

Ever since she married into the clan, this was the first time she left the confines of her room and accompanied the lord around the manor in broad daylight.

Breakfast was eventful, where they ate together on a beautiful garden veranda and basked in the morning sunlight. The servants who had never seen her before were shocked and horrified by her. Some tripped on their feet. Colliding into one another. A maid, with shaky hands, even spilled the tea she was pouring for them. Her wavering eyes filled with terror and abhorrence at the sight of Luwen.

Enemy.

Luwen was unbothered by their stares. However, she was convinced that they had heard all about her entering the former lord's bedchamber last night and that they believed she wanted to murder him in his sleep.

Dai Yichen's voice broke her barrage of thoughts. "Do not worry," he assured her. "I've already informed my people it was a misunderstanding. I told them I was the one who called for your presence, but a new maid made a mistake of bringing you to the wrong room."

Luwen let out a weary sigh. "But it is entirely the people's decisions if they wish to accept the truth or the gossip, isn't it?"

His lips pressed into a firm line. "You're right," he agreed slowly. "However, they will be making a fool out of themselves if they choose to believe gossip over the truth."

His indignant tone brought a small smile to her lips, realizing once again he believed in her when others wouldn't. He even fabricated a story to cover up the truth–

–but wait. What was the reason for him to keep the truth hidden about the maid's plot and her intention of falsely accusing Luwen?

Something was amiss with this.

Her smile faded immediately. When she caught him staring at her through his long dark lashes, she resumed eating, taking a sip of the porridge from her bowl, which was too hot for her.

She swallowed quickly and broke out in a coughing fit, feeling the heat stinging her tongue. He quickly offered her a cup of water. "Are you alright? You need to blow on it before eating."

"I-I'm fine," she answered and accepted the water. As she drank greedily to soothe her tongue, she was aware the lord had moved his wooden chair from across to right next to her. Dangerously close. And she was growing much too conscious of his hand, patting her back gently, albeit a little awkwardly.

Her body stiffened, and she leaned slightly away from him to avoid his touch. "I'm completely fine."

Dai Yichen frowned at her, and then at his hand raised awkwardly in the air, before letting it fall to his side. He didn't say a word, and they ate in silence for the rest of the meal.

On their way to his office, the low voices of a male and a female came. Stationed at the entrance was Yerong and a woman suited in a similar outfit to him–a black top and pants with a sheathed sword hanging by her side. Clearly, they were the lord's personal guards.

Whatever they spoke about, it sounded like a squabble.

"Are... they arguing?" Luwen asked, in concern. "Should we stop them? Will it escalate into a fight?"

Dai Yichen shook his head. "Ignore them. They do that every day."

"Every day?"

As they approached the pair, Yerong turned around and shot them a grin. "Good morning, my lord and lady."