Chapter 15

I stood at a gate besides my mentor and his girlfriend.
My palms sweated lightly under my gloves. On my back, I carried a bag full of my equipment. I wore a t-shirt with thick pants. A vest, holding an assortment of items, was zipped up tightly against my chest. A cloak and hood covered me.
I gripped the strap holding the metal box. Well, please don't let me die.
A clock started counting down
10.
"Well you guys remember the plan. Attack and support."
9.
"Yea."
8.
"Nika, I trust you and your bratty self are able to handle flying solo and find a good spot."
7.
"Of course."
6.
"Kaori...I definitely know you can handle yourself."
5.
4.
3.
"Good luck."
2.
"Team Vendetta!"
1.
"Catch you later!"
I did not respond and stared at the setting ahead. I started running off towards higher ground. Knowing higher ground is the ideal location for snipers and the mountains would be a warzone, I scanned the are around me for a better place. That tree looks tall. I climbed up quickly not wanting to get spotted as I climbed up. Ugh.
This tree had so much sap. I took off the long cloak as I sat on the top branches. Taking a glob of the sap, I smeared it all over the cloak. I ripped off leaves sticking it onto the cloak. There, a quickly made, bad but usable ghillie suit. I slipped it back on rubbing my extremely sticky hands against my pants. I flipped my hood on over my head.
I opened my bag pulling an advanced Crearma scope. I swung my arm holding the metal box out and watched my sniper rifle form in my hands. I attached the scope to it turning it on.
I placed on a pair of goggles connected to its system and put the ear pieces in my ear. With the lack of firm ground to plant the rifle on, I held it in my arms praying that I was strong enough and Akira's horrendous training was not a waste of my precious time. I scooted back and planted myself firmly against the tree trunk. I switched the glasses and earpiece on. I clicked a button activating the microphone.
"Point C. Ready. Point 238, 26. In a tree."
"A tree?!?"
"Calm down. I have a somewhat safe position that overlooks the majority of area."
Plus anime worlds defy logic and physics to a certain degree. Tsuna can fly using flames.
"Can you see behind you."
"Hehe...not so much, but I'm at the edge of the island there's almost literally nothing but sea behind me."
"Huh, nevermind."
I released the button.
I started scanning the island for Kaori and Aki-sensei. I clicked it again.
"You still haven't told me your coords."
I heard a gun fire off.
First shot.
I looked towards where the sound originated. My glasses honed into a a general area in the mountains. My eyes searched through it. No one was visible.
"Nika you okay?"
A part of the leaves twitched .
I flipped the glasses up and looked through the scope on the rifle.
Idiot. Not moving after firing a shot, especially when you're surrounded by bunch of other people with guns.
I parted my mouth to answer as I lined up the shot. Wind is blowing east. I aim a few hashes to the left. Please let me be insanely strong.
"...mhmm. I'm fine...Kaori."
I pulled the trigger and pushed down my glasses. I steadied myself and looked up. It looks like it'll hit. I pulled the strap and swung it over my shoulder.
I started to jump down to the lower branches to reach the floor.
"Damn it."
My foot got caught on a branch causing me to stumble the rest of the way down.
I landed on my knees.
Stupid teachers and forcing there students on trips. I stood and started running for another area. I heard a crack of a branch.
Tch. I jumped into a bush. I held my hood down, trying to keep it from getting caught on branches.
"Come on. That sniper has to be around here."
Their footsteps rushed past and towards the direction of the tree.
As suspected. Humans such simple minded creatures. Though I'm not one to speak.
I slipped out of the bush and started running again.
Frick. I swear if I have to run across the island to find another spot. I'm going to be quite a trigger happy person once I catch my breath.
I started to climb another tree. Why is there so much physical activity. My god.
'Nika I think the pessimist side is showing again.'
Well it's not like it was going to totally disappear was it?
I may be 14 years old now, but I am still 27 year old Nika on the inside.
That Nika hates running.
'Poo. I really thought you went through a metamorphosis. '
What? No. Bad timing as always by the way.
'I see I'm not wanted. Don't be stupid and die. We have unfinished business. Though I guess we can meet again in the afterlife.'
I grabbed a branch pulling myself up. A noticed a large hallow in the trunk as I pulled myself up. Are you serious? What a convenient timing. A human sized hole appears when she wants one. I pulled myself in and set a gun up pointing out.
Positives less likely to be noticed and high up.
Negatives it's smack dab in the middle of a forest and I have a limited vision.
"Hey, support time, we found a building and now we're using it. Don't know if you're near it though. Coords 138, 57."

I climbed out of the hole and look towards the general left direction and spotted something gray in the distance. Tsk. I can't see it without climbing out.
"I think I see it."
I zoomed in and saw them.
"Yea."
In the area of the battle it was all nature except for the few building that were scattered through it. The buildings were one the the best places to attack from.
They were made from a solid material that could withstand a majority of bullets and had only one entrance way.
They gave you a height advantage.
The thing is though was that it had glassless windows and no door meaning anyone could get in if one doesn't defend properly.
The best place to attack and hardest to defend.
I crawled back into the hole.
"Just call me when you need support. I have a hole in a tree right now. "
"What?"
"Should have heard it the first time."
"She said she has a hole in a tree."
"I repeat, what?"
I made myself comfortable.
Now I just sit and wait.