6 - Friendly

Eden's POV

I sit in class, staring out the window. It's a work period for an assignment, and I've already completed it so technically for me, it's free time.

I let my mind wander, looking at the clear blue sky and white clouds outside.

Shrieking, screaming, fire, chaos.

I feel a tap on my shoulder, and I jump slightly with a sharp intake of breath, whipping my head around to face whoever touched me. I'm met with a girl with a brown wavy hair, rounded face, deep brown eyes with long eyelashes smothered in mascara and eyeliner and a half smile on her clear glossed lips. She stares at me, waiting for me to speak and I blink my eyes multiple times before I can even get any words out.

"I scared you, didn't I? I'm sorry." Her voice is clear, with a relatively higher pitch and tone.

I nod. "A little. It's okay." Her face relaxes and she full out smiles at me now, her bright white smile fully on display.

"Sorry, I just wanted to say hello. I'm Astrid." She holds her hand out. I take it and shake it softly before she sits down beside me. I usually sit by myself in every class. No one's bothered to talk to me, until now.

"Hi. I'm Eden."

"You done you assignment already?" She asks as she leans back in the chair beside me, and I nod. "Me too." She says as she sighs. "I feel like I should be in the higher class, but this is where I was put this year."

"How long have you been here?" I ask, surprised at my own curiosity.

"Almost two years now. My old pack disbanded, and Alpha took in some of us."

"Do you like it here?" She glances my way and nods. "Yeah. Shadow Sun is way better than my old pack. Alpha Dante can be strict and a pain, but there's a reason this pack prospers so much."

"I haven't been here long, and I haven't met Alpha Dante yet, but so far I'm liking it here."

"That's good! It can take some time to get adjusted here, but believe me, everyone in this pack works hard under Alpha to make this the place that it is."

"It definitely seems that way." I glance towards Astrid, feeling happy that I'm finally speaking to someone other than my sister. Maybe it'll all be okay after all. My attention is brought to the front of the class where Professor Cassaday stands at her desk, clearing her throat to get everyone's attention.

"Class is over. Please don't forget that your assignments are due by the end of the week in the drop box outside of the classroom. Dismissed!"

The scraping of chairs, clattering of feet and chattering of voices fills my ears as everyone gets up and makes their way out of class. Astrid gets up beside me and starts to pack up her bag. "What classes you have next?" She asks curiously.

"I've got History/Lore later today and then I'm training with High Priestess Valleth."

She pauses briefly. "You're the wolf with access to magic, aren't you?"

There it is.

My back stiffens and I bite my lip in nervousness. I glance at her making only partial eye contact. "Yes. Is that a problem?" I keep my tone low and even, expecting the worst.

"No. Why would it be?"

I'm surprised by her response, but I still hesitate to respond for a few moments.

"I'm not normal by any means, you sure you're alright with that? With talking to me?" I question as I stand and pack up my own belongings in my bag and sling it over my shoulder.